Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwp333

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
It's $1479 inc. Applecare. That's the 20 inch model. Could get a 17 inch Intel iMac for same. This would be for upgrade from 700 mhz iMac G4. I kind of like the compatibilty of Power PC with everything at this point. Like the big screen too. Any opinions?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
jwp333 said:
It's $1479 inc. Applecare. That's the 20 inch model. Could get a 17 inch Intel iMac for same. This would be for upgrade from 700 mhz iMac G4. I kind of like the compatibilty of Power PC with everything at this point. Like the big screen too. Any opinions?

Costco has iMacs? What state are you in and how much is the Applecare itself?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
what will you be using the Mac for? anything that u do on a iMac 700Mhz should b e Universal(unless you pushing that iMac to do "Pro" stuff

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Personally I'd go with the Intel because it's the newer technology. However, the G5 iMac is still a great computer, so if you want the extra screen space it's not a bad purchase.

jwp333

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
This is a Costco in Virginia. And as far as what I'd use it for, probably the same as this old computer, i.e. web, email, iTunes, iPhoto. I'm not a power user, but like the thought of having something fairly new w/ G5 chip.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
jwp333 said:
This is a Costco in Virginia. And as far as what I'd use it for, probably the same as this old computer, i.e. web, email, iTunes, iPhoto. I'm not a power user, but like the thought of having something fairly new w/ G5 chip.
Well with the things you list then you should have no problems using a G5 iMac. However, I'd just try to look to the next 3 or 4 years or so. If you plan on using this computer for a long time and upgrading software constantly you may want to go with an Intel iMac.

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
EvilDoc said:
I say go with the intel iMac. 4yrs from now the intel iMac will still be runing new software way faster then a G5. Why buy something that has already been replaced?

while this is true, not everyone needs nor wants the most cutting edge of technology. apparengly the original poster has done fine with the imac he owns already.

the iMac G5 is a great machine. I love mine...

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Go for it - I have the 20" iMac G5 w/iSight (1.5 gigs ram) and it is a fantastic computer. I got it a few weeks before the Intel version was released and I have no regrets.

While some people here will act like anything G4 or G5 is stone age, they are still very good machines. And the one you are looking at is a final revision compared to the Intel models (though the Intel iMac hasn't been problematic like the MacBook Pros). It should be a major step up from your current machine.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
EvilDoc said:
.....Why buy something that has already been replaced?

a great price can be a pretty good reason to buy something that isn't "state of the art"

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I say go with a new iMac w/ Core Duo processor. That said, the iMac G5 that you are looking at is still a very fine machine that would last you for years to come.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Democrat622 said:
i'd go for an intel mac mini then get a cheapish dell, viewsonic, or nec 20"er

But to find and buy a comparable monitor to that found on the iMac + a Mac Mini the cost would be very close to that of just buying a new iMac.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Macky-Mac said:
a great price can be a pretty good reason to buy something that isn't "state of the art"

yeah, no kidding. he gets the 20" model and applecare for the cost of a 17" model without applecare. And the rev. C G5s in particular are still great machines, as they have the same screens as the intels, front row & photobooth, and good graphics (though not as good as the intels).

I say G5.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
dmw007 said:
But to find and buy a comparable monitor to that found on the iMac + a Mac Mini the cost would be very close to that of just buying a new iMac.

actually The dell monitors use the same LCD panel as the apple cinema displays. Well the dell wide screen ones. The 20in widescreen can be had for $350 and it is exactly the same as the apple display. I had one until I sold it to save for a rev. b macbook pro. If you don't believe me about the displays using the same lcd panel just google it (dell sizes match up also).

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
nws0291 said:
actually The dell monitors use the same LCD panel as the apple cinema displays. Well the dell wide screen ones. The 20in widescreen can be had for $350 and it is exactly the same as the apple display. I had one until I sold it to save for a rev. b macbook pro. If you don't believe me about the displays using the same lcd panel just google it (dell sizes match up also).

Oh I believe that the Dell LCDs do use very high grade components. Although, I have yet to see their 20" LCD go for $350.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
While the price is very attractive, I would really recommend going for the Core Duo iMac.

Single processor G5 vs. Core Duo and the ability to use your PPC software and any of the newer Universal Binary updates and dual boot capabilties.

Take a look at the benchmarks.

If you're going to spend the money on a major upgrade, I would go for the
fastest and most flexible system you can afford.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I think what your question was, would you be a fool to buy a computer(a expensive and quality one) from such as a store as Costco? I understand your concern as recently my brother got his from CompUSA who I feel is a step below the Apple Store itself. However if you were to get Applecare and it wasn't a display model I'd say go for it. Check out Amazon first though that will be where I buy my next Mac. Apparently they are awesome about returns and so forth and on occasion can be cheaper than the Apple Store. Enjoy!

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
i have a side question for this topic.
is there a chance that Costco could switch to the intel core duo iMac?
are they know to stay one computer behind the new curve and offer good deals?

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
dmw007 said:
Oh I believe that the Dell LCDs do use very high grade components. Although, I have yet to see their 20" LCD go for $350.

I have, quite regularly. Its often posted on these forums when it hits that very sweet bottom price. There is a reason so many people have that same 20 inch dell monitor, the price just seems so bone-headedly cheap to most people. myself included. thats why i picked one up for something like 370 including tax/shipping.

I say- g5 imac. but by a slim margin. The price is pretty good, plus applecare. but the core-duos pretty much rock.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
slackersonly said:
i have a side question for this topic.
is there a chance that Costco could switch to the intel core duo iMac?
are they know to stay one computer behind the new curve and offer good deals?

Costco doesn't normally carry Apple computers... the reason they have the G5 iMac's and G4 Mac Mini's is because Apple made a deal with them to sell off the old stock of those. Once they're sold out of them, they probably won't be selling any other Apple computers.

(they have sold some other Apple computers in the past, but that was quite a while back...)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
atari1356 said:
Costco doesn't normally carry Apple computers...
This is true, although what Costco sells or doesn't seems to depend only on what they can make money on that day. The used to only carry the HP iPod, but recently they have had various shipments of 5Gs and nanos, plus the iMac G5s (which sold out in less than a week in the two stores I frequent).

Personally I was very tempted by the G5s at Costco, but held on and bought a 17" Intel iMac. Since it was replacing a WIndows box, it was nice to think that I could run all the kids' old PC games on it (even before Boot Camp w/ the XOM solution).

IMHO the iMac is a much better value than the mini Core Duo + cheap monitor, since you get a bigger faster drive and a non-integrated GPU. YMMV.

B

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I would definitely say go for it. Costco has a great return policy if you have any problems, and that's a terrific price. For your needs, a G5 will carry you a long way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.