Foolish Opinion of the Mac Mini

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 12, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 1, 2003
    Wow, this guy is a complete and total asshat!
  3. macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Man... I guess this guy is a major PeeCee troll. It makes my blood pressure rise. Reminds me of a guy at work that mentioned buying a Mac Mini to install Linux on. Need I say more?
  4. macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2003
    I didn't bother reading past the first section:

"Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL) stock took a bit of a dive yesterday following CEO Steve Jobs' blockbuster presentation at Macworld. The reason was simple. Months of hyperactive speculation have priced the stock at an extreme premium."

This "analyst" doesn't know crap. Apple stock has ALWAYS gone down after a MacWorld, it has nothing to do with what is announced at the Keynote. Do people actually make any money on the market by following
  5. macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2004
    Absolutely pathetic. I can't believe the number of so-called analysts who are bad mouthing apple today. I've seen some on Bloomberg, on CNBC, even on Fox news. What the hell is wrong with these people?

It seems to me these foolish morons would be unhappy regardless of what apple comes out with because it's never going to be as cheap as a POS dell. Whoop Dee Doo! I just went to dell's web site, configered the lowest possibly priced system without a monitor and crappy integrated video (a video card with dedicated Vram was not even an option) and it came out to $428.00.

I really think these "fools" are unhappy because they did not get in on the stock when it was in the low twenties and now they're in deep regret and denial.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent after reading and hearing from all these moronic apple-haters.
  6. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    It's better than buying a Dell to install Linux on. Once he has a Mac, I'm sure he would eventually give OS X a go.
  7. macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Actually I kind of agree with the article.
    I'm not impressed with the new hardware and think these may be history in a year or 2. Similar to the cubes life/death.

jmo after using Mac's professionally since early 80's.
  8. macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    What's so funny is how many people said that about the iPod.
    and the iPod-mini.
    and the new iMac.
  9. macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Columbus, Ohio area

They tore the mini apart and at least one has had to publicly appologize for it once the mini took off. The store here in SF can't keep those things in stock.

By the way, once you've set up the Shuffle on YOUR mac, you can use it as a memory stick on any other mac and it won't try to boot iTunes. Very nice touch.
  10. macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2003
    Maybe right, maybe wrong, vile all the same.

The author may end up being right about the stock, but I thought the overall tone of the article made him sound like a Mac hater. No professional should use a line like "Mac fans who've been sipping Steve's Kool-Aid" in an article talking about business. And slamming SJ because he supposedly waffled and now thinks the time is right for a flash based is just asinine. Perhaps he's never heard of marketing (not really, this site spams mercilessly if you sign up for an email).

Maybe he should have tuned in for the earnings report before declaring Apple a failure. This is almost as bad as the article. I swear Microsoft pays these guys to start slamming Apple after every new announcement.

Oh well, gotta go check the status of my iLife '05 and iPod shuffle order. Guess I'd also better not tell the guys at work who are going to go buy an iMac mini (first Mac they've ever owned).
  11. macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
  12. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    the usual deal from a pc skeptic. once anyone goes to compare the cost of a similarly equiped mac to a pc, it becomes fully apparent that they don't know what they are talking about.
  13. macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I don't think MS gets that level of stupidity for any price... they get it for free.

I use to believe they did pay for a few shills but not any more, they do it for more whacked reasons.
  14. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    I'm getting fed up of people like this. Bitter or what.

They complain about the lack of keyboard, mouse and display: Apple are going after switchers who already have those. Why do they want to buy another? They don't get it.

Looking on the apple discussion boards regarding Mac Mini - some windows users really believe they require a Apple Display ; they don't think their $50 'Windows' monitor will work.

Windows users, really... take my breath away.
  15. macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2004
    Upper Mid West
    who doesn't have an extra monitor around?

and speaking of monitors, aren't all crt monitors basically a tv?

couldn't you plug a tv into a computer and do the same thing as with a monitor?
  16. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Yeah, very simple. The rest of the market took a bit of a dive, too. Talk about jumping to conclusions. And we're supposed to take financial advice from this guy? Puh-lease.
  17. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Similar technology... but TV's are MUCH lower quality. That's why computer displays cost more than TVs. They have a lower scan/refresh rate, they have interlace flicker, they have lower dot pitch, and they have analog input with a very blurry picture. You don't notice because you're used to it--and because text on TV credits is always large. But plug in a computer to a TV (which the Mac Mini CAN do) and you'll find interface text very difficult to read, unless you use 640x480--which will still be annoyingly blurry.

It's fun for slideshows, games, iTunes visualizer... but not for general productivity.
  18. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2004
    Where was that guy getting his prices from cause I could get a mac mini running for $605. I found a 17in Flat CRT(kind of an oxymoron) at Circuit City for $80 and a wireless keyboard and mouse at
    for $25. I went to dell's website to see this amazingly affordable PC and to get it up to par with the mini's specs it would cost $657. Plus it had integrated graphics which on that model is none upgradable.
  19. macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2004
    what a tool!

This guy has no clue what he's talking about. For one thing i bet he's never been close to a mac b4, what an ass! :mad:
  20. macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    This paragraph from the article worries me. The Motley Fool is highly regarded by the investment community, so I'm assuming what they wrote here was not on a lark. Is it possible Apple cooked the books? I'd hate to see our fanaticism blind any objective scrutiny of these stock options.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2002
    What is this guys email address

Please someone with some sense find this idiot's email address so we can bomb him.

Oh, and apple stock is trading at 73 in after hours.

Looks like you are a complete and total dick.
  22. macrumors regular

May 23, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN USA
    Ok, I emailed him with this response:

Sound ok? this guy was really full of himself (and his ignorance).
  23. macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    That's why the stock crashed today... oh wait, it soared to a new high, that's right I forgot. Thank you, you're so insightful.

24. macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Display excuse?

Displays last FAR LONGER than computers. It's a fact. That's why some criticize Apple for the iMac - The LCD will happily outlive the rest of the machine. If you bought a PC 3 years ago, with a nice LCD display, and your keyboard is still in good condition, and you have a 5 button mouse that you've fallen in love with, you're pretty much set for the Mac Mini.

After three years of XP, your computer has most likely been host to hundreds of viruses, had (a lot of) spyware, and been proven insecure almost weekly.

If you skimped when you bought the PC and got the "bargain PC," the components and processor were probably of very poor quality (the stock Dell etc. parts are very cheaply made). By now, you may be desperate for a change. Each iteration of XP demands more and more processing power, if you got the low end three years ago, you're probably suffering now. Now there's a true alternative to get you into the stability, functionality, and beauty of Mac OS and its bundled software without ditching your gear (make sure to pick up a USB Hub, tho)...

P.S. Schools are gonna love the Mac Mini. Many already have the displays and keyboards, and with a sweet education discount, they will be able to quickly and easily deploy a fleet of Macs
  25. macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Thats one of the arguments PC users like to make about PCs. -- That it is upgradeable. But in my experience, the moment you want to upgrade the processor, you end having to upgrade both the MB and the chipset, and probably the RAM as well. You really end up with a new computer. Apple realizes this, but PC users like to make a point of it.