Foot-and-Mouth outbreak at Surrey farm

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Aug 3, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

BBC News Link

BBC News Link

Here we go again.

2. macrumors G4

Here we go again indeed. I hope it gets contained and eradicated quicker than last time.

We're supposed to be taking the dog to France next weekend too, so I'm going to have to keep a close eye on this one (yeah, I know dogs can't get it, but who knows how far the restrictions will go?) :(

3. macrumors 6502

I was just about to post this one. I hope they get it sorted and contained properly this time or were going to be royally stuffed this year for getting rid of muck from our farm!

I havn't even started emptying tanks yet...it'll be overflowing a month or twos time!

One good sign is they've found it early and stopped movements even though we were meant to have pigs going to the abbatoir on monday morning but now they'll jst get fat and not be able to go for cull.

Any other farmers on here affected?

4. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is such said news, really feel for all the farmers out there, must have been devastating last time around. This will surely churn up the bad memories and hopefully that'll be it. I really hope this doesnt spread.

5. macrumors 6502

How come most farmers i see drive round in range rover sports ?

6. macrumors G4

Because it's a justifiable business expense on their tax returns :)

7. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Just read this, doesn't look as bad but it brings back very bad memories living in a rural area.

Hopefully they'll contain it.

Because despite what a lot of farmers will tell you, there is a lot of money in farming, and a lot of farmers did very well (financially) out of the first out-break.

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

Christ, not again. I remember the night a few of us saw a giant on a hillside, turned out that was something to do with Foot and Mouth and I dread to think what was in there :(

9. macrumors 6502

It was probably Grawp (Hagrid's half-brother) out for a stroll... :D

10. macrumors 6502

I love this ! So it wasn't a giant after all then ?

11. macrumors Core

Dagless

It was a jolly green giant :D

Ruddy nora I forgot to put "fire" in there!

Just caught this on BBCNews24. Last I heard they were trying to find out which of the 7 strains it was, and Gordon Brown gave a speech about "doing stuff fast". The cull is in action. Etc.

12. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, though I suspect it depends on what they are farming, milk for example costs the same in Tesco's (in pounds and pence) as it did in the 1970's.

Also 4x4's are also useful cars for farmers as they can go off-road in them ;).

13. macrumors 6502

I think you'll find the "PURE" farmers ie farmers who only do one thing.. pigs, cows, sheep, and arable farmers to some extent would be right in saying there is no money in it. The ones who are riding around in big range rovers you will probably find have had lots of land and sold most of it for housing developments or sold out to stupid EU schemes like insect corridors. Also Bio mass plantation schemes have alot of money in them aswel.

Alot of farmers did very well??:eek: I think losing their livelyhoods and their main source of income for over a year...we made a loss in the 10's of thousands over a matter of months during foot and mouth! Even tho we didnt have to have our herd culled!

but yes i hope it's contained!

14. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Alarmingly they have now identified the strain as being identical to the one which the nearby (3 miles away) Institute for Animal Health has on site and which another company manufactures vaccines for at the same place. A smoking gun?

15. macrumors 6502

Smoking gun? nah sounds like its been carried onto the infected farm by someone frm the institute on their boots.