Foot position...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MalcolmJID, Aug 13, 2006.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

...this is a weird/random thread yea, but whatever...

Today, well, about half hour ago (10:15pm here), I got out of my car, and in the floor mat, I noticed a spot of wear and discolouration. So I sat back down and sat how I would driving. I realised I have my left foot "normal" with the clutch, like, just lined up all the time so I'm ready to shift. But my right foot, I have the heel in position right underneath the brake pedal, but I just angle my foot to use the accelerator. Is this normal? The result is the patch of wear on the floor mat from the heel of shoe. I can control the car fine...but I just wanted a random thread....does anyone else do this?

I'm in England for all y'all wondering about the clutch :p :rolleyes:

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Manual transmission U.S. cars have clutches too. :confused:

Depends on the car... on mine (AT) I have to do more than just swivel my foot to hit the accelerator or the brake. I imagine the level of mat wear also depends on what kind of shoes you wear. :)

...this really is a weird random thread...

3. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I know! It just seems like the majority of U.S. cars seem to be auto....I'm just presuming though. :p

Also, I wear Vans. They're pretty solid in the heel. Worse if I wear my heavy steel-toed boots. I can't drive with them yet. they're too stiff!:D :rolleyes:

4. Timepass macrumors 65816

well my car is 600 miles away right now so I am not sure about the exact spot of the wear on my left foot (I drive a 6 speed manual) but I know that there is a heal spot forming under the break petal and I do angle my foot for the gas.

When driving though my left foot is normally not over the clutch pedal. It only there when I need to shift or will be shifting shortly. Once at cruising speed my left food is on the kick panel on far left (about where the parking break foot pedal would be on trucks and stuff).

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

The heel on my right foot tends to rest halfway between the brake and accelerator pedals.

What you describe sounds normal to me, and if it works for you I don't see how it could be a problem.

However, some other things it's best to avoid doing:

- Don't rest your hand on the gear stick.
    - Don't rest your foot at all on the clutch pedal (I used to do this)
    - Try not to wrap your thumbs around the steering wheel (if you crash and airbag goes off, it'll break them)

6. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I do the same thing with the break/accelerator, my heel stays in one spot. I wore a hole through the floor mat of my last car in a few months. Quality floor mats huh? :) I replaced them with heavy duty rubber ones LOL. So far no noticable wear on my new car (only 3000 Miles on it)

P.S. I wear Vans as well

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yeah my heel sits right under the brake and my foot is at a 45º angle to press the gas. My left foot sits flat on the ground right in front of the clutch, as I don't like the 'dead pedal'.

8. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know I shouldn't rest on the clutch pedal, it's a really bad habit. But i sort of just very slightly let it rest, im not resting the full weight of my foot on the clutch. Theres a bit of play on the pedal anyways, I should probably fix it...but I want to try and sell it on.

I don't have airbags. I don't have anything :p And only 4 gears! Whooo! hurray for 16 year old cars!

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Er, it's more than just a bad habit, it puts undue stress on the clutch and the throw out bearing (so says several mechanic friends of mine). To the point where you might have to replace the transmission earlier than you would have to otherwise.

As for how I drive, I'm not sure, but a lot of people must do what you do, MalcolmJID, because my car's OEM floormats have an extra reinforced area where one's heel would most likely rest. :p

10. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but like I said, theres the tiniest bit of play in the pedal before it actually does anything to the clutch. But starting from today I've tried to keep my foot off the pedal :). Stupid windy roads!

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I feel you there. Whenever I drive home from work without changing out of my steel toes it's soooo hard to get a good feel for the clutch.

12. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i have worn out a spot between the brake and gas pedals... but my mats are 13 years old this sept.

13. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine are only erm, 8 months old, but only been driving for 5. ha. Ooops.:eek:

14. sobolobo macrumors member

My heel never touches the floor when I drive.
    I simply press down with my whole foot on the brake/accelerator/clutch and when I'm stopped my feet rest flat on the floor.

15. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

All three of them??

16. Timepass macrumors 65816

there is more than 3. but yeah fewer and fewer people know how to drive them any more. I am among the few people my age (23) who know how to drive a stick any more (and do it well, heck my car is a 6-speed man)

But that being said manual are being phased out. Automatics are starting to get better gas mileage than there manual counter parts (computers are always at the best shift points than a human) they can put 5-6 gears in the auto tranys now and most of the time do.

17. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

It depends on what car I'm driving. In my normal every day car I tend to do what you do. There's a wear mark under the clutch and about halfway between the brake and gas pedals. The other car I drive occasionally has a different gas pedal design (floor mounted pedals) and in that there's a wear mark in front of the clutch and directly in front of the gas. I'm not sure if its the pedals or my more aggressive driving style. Perhaps I heal and toe more in that car?

Anyway... I think its sad how few americans really know how to drive stick. My family has four cars, three of them are manuals. I don't think its a lack of desire to learn though. Most of my friends who don't know how to drive stick would love to learn, they just don't have the opportunity/vehicle to learn on. I've let a few of my better friends try my car out just to feel what its like.

This is true. Our most recently purchased manual transmission car has worse EPA figures then the automatic version. I still think I get better mpg in every day driving then I would in an automatic though. Computers aren't always at the best shift points. They don't know what I'm planing to do next... but I do, and can shift accordingly. Automatics are getting more efficeint partially because they can have different/better gear ratios then traditional manual transmissions. Some of the newest automatics have gear arrangements that provide better economy but would be impossible to shift with a mechanical stick.

18. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I always slip off my slaps and drive barefoot - no wear on the floormat but the sex wax is hard to get out.:D

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I can top ya. I drive a 6-speed, I'm younger, and I'm a woman so... :p
    True. But, it's still cheaper to buy/ fix/ replace manual transmissions. ;)

20. iGav macrumors G3

In a manual car, I leave two wear marks... one in the middle between the clutch and brake (I frequently left foot brake) and one in the middle between the brake and the accelerator, I don't use the foot rest.

In an automatic I leave two marks, one under the brake and one under the accelerator, as I always left foot brake in an automatic.

21. sobolobo macrumors member

I don't know what you're on about with the sex wax, but I prefer driving barefoot as well. That way, I can get a better "feel" for the car.

Automatic transmissions may be advancing but here in Australia manual cars still do better in terms of mileage and about 50% of cars (but declining) are supposedly a manual transmission.

22. poolish macrumors regular

haha hes a surfer, u put sex wax on the board to grip your feet

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mind=blown. Reviver, how and why did you post in here :eek:.