football on hte mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by russed, Feb 18, 2004.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

does anyone know of any decent football games for the mac like fifa or anything like that. i really miss them!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only one I've ever seen is Backyard Soccer and that's aimed toward children.

3. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i assume you mean soccer. most of the people that frequent this forum are american, therefore football to them is not soccer.

anyways, i have bought the game "kick off 2" which was originally out on the commodore amiga. classic in it's time. do a search and you'll find it. that's the only one i know off

4. m4rc macrumors 6502

If you mean football, an want a manager sim type game, Championship Manager 03/04 is the best bar none.

www.sigames.com

SI have just made big announcements as to their future games too.

Marc

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

If you want real football, the last I saw was Madden 2000 for the Mac.
    On a related note, I just ran across this news story:

Freak Accident Paralyzes Man From Waist Up
    MESA, AZ—A bizarre spinal injury sustained in a car accident Sunday has left local resident Roberto Montenegro paralyzed from the waist up. "Roberto is back on his feet," said Mesa General Hospital head of surgery William Maxon. "Unfortunately, though, he has lost all feeling in his head, arms, and torso. No longer able to move from the waist up, he cannot eat, speak, dial a telephone, type, open doors, or look sideways." Doctors said Montenegro should be able to resume his career as a professional soccer player as early as next week.

6. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

yeah, that'll be a lot of help :confused:

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What's American Football got to do with real football? :confused:

8. mms macrumors 6502a

In America, "football" refers to what is called American football in most other countries. America is one of the few countries that use the word soccer to refer to what the rest of the world calls "football". Because the starter of the thread was from England, I assume he/she was referring to soccer, but this causes a problem because many here are American.

9. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

yeah

I think he knew that somehow. ;)
    Honestly, what's American football got to do with real football?:p

10. mms macrumors 6502a

11. m4rc macrumors 6502

As you said, only in America! The rest of the World, you know, the small bit, refer to what the American's call Soccer as Football, Real Football, I would guess invented way before the American's invented their game. Not that that is going to change anything, apparantly the rest of the World need's tp use a different name to avoid confusion!

12. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

well i didnt mean to start an argument! when i said football i did mean soccer to all you american's. iMHO i believe that our football is far superior to your football :D though i did enjoy watching my first ever superbowl the other week. especially the half time show :D

13. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Footie Rules!

How does american soccer sound hehe

Come on ireland!!

England you done well last night too!

14. mms macrumors 6502a

Interesting how this soccer vs. American football discussion comes up whenever either of the sports are mentioned on any international forum...

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, it's just Rugby with lots of padding. :D

I believe there are three countries using the word soccer for football: U.S.A., Japan, and Canada.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i always wondered ...why is american football called football ? i mean you don't play it with your feet ? except punting ...

i think you have to be born in america to understand whats so interesting about american football ...i fall asleep the last 2 superbowls

;)

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Well, to decide once and for all what sport is really "football" we could have a wrestling match between American football players and Int'l. soccer players. My bet is on the Americans.

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Not as of tomorrow.

Tomorrow all International forum members are banned and their IP's tracked and also banned.

Sorry guys, this is a .com site.

:p ;)

How about this... new rules for sports
    Soccer is now and will always be called 'Football'. Not american football.
    American Football will now be called handball.
    Handball will now be renamed to Smackball and will not affect a popular offshot 'chinese handball'.

Congrads on the new names sports.

19. jasylonian macrumors regular

does anybody have any idea when they're going to upgrade playmaker football for OSX?

20. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I guess the same can be asked about soccer. As a player and a coach of American football, there are a lot of nuances of the game that are completely overlooked by somebody that has little knowledge of the sport (and to some of those who think they have complete knowledge of the game). The same can be said about Soccer. I know there is certain strategies going on during a game but I couldn't tell anybody what they are as I have little knowledge about the sport.

As for the name football; in the infancy of the sport, you only ran the ball. The forward pass was not legalized until the 40s. My guess would be that the term came from the fact that the ball (and the player) is advanced due to the use of ones feet (ie. running) but I am unsure of the exact reason.

I'm sure that the football/American football debate will never end with no clear winner...well, as long as an American is involved in the argument. Let's just chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks"

21. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I was told a story by my friend's father who was a all-state lineman in football during high school. He was doing some church missionary work down in Australia when he and his companion (also a football player) were approached by a couple of Rugby players. They asked my friend's father why football players wore pads. So they lined themselves up in front of the Rugby players and proceeded to "throw a block" which in the 70s consisted of throwing your forearm into the chest of the opposing players as hard and as fast as you could do it. After the demonstration, the Rugby players agreed the pads were a good idea.

Nowadays, professional football players are so fast, hit so hard and are so fine tuned in their abilities that if there were no pads, there would be multiple deaths each season. Concussions in football are as common as bruised shins in soccer.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

american football = more like chess...some players are specialized on 'role' they are playing on the field a guard or running back won't be throwing a ball as good as a quarterback
    if the opposite team is in lead your whole team has to work together to turn it around,

in soccer/football you can either turn around the game because your team works together and run some extra miles per game (england/usa/skandinavian teams are famous for that and using very long passes: 'kick and rush'),other countries use very fast short passing like in holland,spain, south american countries, other teams are using tactics and switch positions of players on field very often and are guarding opposite players very strict and combine that with high pressure/speed over long time(germany got famous for that style of play, their players can't compete to some brazilians technically but a game goes 90 minutes the last 10 minutes against germany are the hardest, South Korea are palying similar), and of course there can be always a good single player which can turn around a game on its own .. these players are essence of the whole game sometimes ..they may be just playing average around for 89 minutes of the game without shooting once at the goal but in the left minute they are doing things like wide shots from 50 meters, dribbling through the defense on their own or artistic tricks etc. those are many times the most expensive players like ronaldo,zidane,bekham now or maradona,pele,beckenbauer in the past

edit: and istill don't understand how the transfer system with those 'drafts' works in american sports i would be pleased if somebody can explain how that works

23. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

The draft in most American sports works as such:

The draft pool (players) generally consists of players who have played the sport in college but that is not always the case. I'll get into this later.

The draft order (which team gets to pick first) is generally decided by how the teams did the year previous (the team with the worst record gets the first pick) except in basketball. They have a lottery where the teams who did not make the playoffs are entered into a lottery to choose the team order of the first 13 choices with the teams with the worst records getting more ping-pong ball put into the big hopper.

After the draft order has been figured out, they choose players who have entered into the draft based on the players ability and/or the teams need (ie. in basketball, the team has no really tall players so they will pick a tall player or in football, a team's quarterback just retired so they will pick a quarterback). Draft picks can also be traded to other teams for other draft picks or players. This is a very common occurance and teams with really high draft pics (teams that pick towards the front) often use these picks as bartering tools. In the drafts, there are what are called "rounds". A "round" is essentually a cycle in which each team picks a player. In football, there are 7 rounds. Basketball has 2 and baseball and hockey have multiple rounds (in the teens).

Going back to the players who enter the draft. Baseball and Hockey have always drafted players staight out of high school and there has never been any problem with it. Both sports have very extensive developmental leagues. In Baseball, it's called the "minor leagues" and it categorized with Rookie League, A League, AA League and AAA League with different pro teams having affiliations with different minor league teams. An example is the Anaheim Angels have an affiliation to send players down to the AAA team Salt Lake Stingers. Hockey has essentially the same thing but with different names. It's not called the minor leagues, it's just different leagues (an example is the AHL) and the team affiliations work the same as in Baseball (The NHL team Dallas Stars have an affiliation with the AHL team Utah Grizzlies).

This, however, is not the case for Basketball. In the 70s, it was ruled that the NBA was violating US Anti-Trust laws by only allowing players of certain age into the league. So they started to allow players out of high school to enter the draft. At first there was very few players who did this but now there are at least 10 high schoolers in the draft each year. A lot of columnists and sports experts have argued that this has caused for the decline of the quality of play. Basketball has a developmental league but it has, so far, been a bust.

In Football, the rule was that your high school graduating class had to be three years out before you were eligible for the draft. This ensured that players got enough training both in the weight room and the football technique to be successful. However, some deliquent got suspended from college and decided to sue the NFL to allow him enter the draft. He won the case (under US Anti-Trust Laws) and is now entering the NFL draft. Sports experts are afraid that the same decline in basketball will now happen in football and also afraid that many shady agents will try to lure high schoolers to enter the draft when they are not physically nor mentally ready for the NFL. The NFL also has a developmental league (NFL Europe) which has been moderately successful in training talent but has been quite successful in raising the popularity of American Football in Europe.

Well, this is a brief overview of the draft (yeah, I know this was really long but I only scratched the surface). Hopefully, this gives you an idea of what is going on.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

thx for the overview

something like this doesn't exist in europe every team has to look out for young players on their own or they have like 3 different 'junior' teams in different lower leagues to get practice for them some of the youngest players are like 17 when scoring their first goals
    some big clubs are even having own schools like ajax amsterdam, where pupils are getting normal education combined with professional soccer training with10-11 or something like that

each year they can pull out 1-2 18-20 year old players which are playing at world class niveau and about 5-6 major league class players...

and their aren't any help for the badest teams of the last season they are going down from A league to B league if your were last the year before in some country their are even 3-4 'downgrades' each season..so nobody wants to be on the last 4 places in the end