For $999 this seems like a deal, no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JoeJoe, Oct 8, 2006.

1. JoeJoe macrumors member

Apple Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17" 120gb HiRes screen!This is the latest 17 inch Powerbook with the HI-res screen and 120gb hard drive.Specs are :17-inch TFT widescreen display with 1680x1050 resolution1.67GHz PowerPC G4 processor512MB memory (DDR2 PC2-4200 SDRAM at 333MHz)120GB 5400rpm hard driveSlot-load 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card with 128MB DDR memoryFull-size, backlit keyboardGigabit EthernetUSB 2.0 and FireWire 400 & 800On the drive is On the drive is, TIGER,0fficeO4, FinalCutHD, FinalCutExpress, DVDSTUDIOPRO3,L0gicPro7 Quark6, Toast6,SHAKE,FilemakerPro6,Ph0toshopCS 8,IllustratorCS,INdesign, Dreamweaver04, Fireworks04, Flash04, Keynote, and ILIFE05.

Am I missing something?

2. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Looks like all the software is only on the disc though, so when it's gone - it's gone. I'd personally rather go with the newer Intel models myself.

3. mBurns macrumors 6502

Hi. This does seem like a good deal if you compare dollar to dollar with what other people are selling this machine for. The big thing though is, is it a good deal if it's PPC? EVERYTHING is going to move towards intel obviously. Do you want to sink $999 into a dead chipset that is even older then the G5, regardless that this was the last PPC laptop to be made. To make a long story short, personally I'd only buy this laptop if:

A) you want to resell it to make some money
    B) need a lot of screen real estate
    C) couldn't live without the powerbook design

or I'd just sink the money into a MacBook because you will get many more years out of it and it will be current for a VERY long time.

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Shake alone is worth that much money. If you need it then buy it but i would go intel.

5. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Yeah, but is it dodgy or not? Seems strange to bundle all this software with no discs.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

it's not strange, it's just not legal. most eBay auctions these days include preloaded software.. but to the OP: don't think that those preloaded apps boost the price or anything, because they're just pirated copies that the seller probably got for free via download.

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Hahaha, not strange - just illegal. I wouldn't bother buying it personally. I wonder what the legal issue would be.
    "I bought the PowerBook and non of the pirated software was installed as the seller said. I want a refund."

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I think you're getting hung up on the software. With preloaded stuff, I just disregard it and think of the value of the machine. IMO, $1k for the last revision 17" is probably a good deal, so if you're in the market, I'd jump on it. Besides, you're just going to reinstall a fresh copy of Tiger anyways, right? So all that software will be gone.. nothing illegal once that's done.

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

No, the software bit was...er...humour. I don't think it's worth spending £750 on. I'd rather pay double and get a more recent product under a 2 year guarantee.