For all the Animal Lovers out there....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macartistkel, Sep 5, 2005.

1. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

No animal rescue groups have been allowed into New Orleans to help animals, who have been left stranded on their own. Sending money is not solving the animals’ problem, which is worsening by the hour.

Meanwhile, federal authorities are forcing everyone—including elderly residents who have stayed in water-logged residences for five days just to safeguard their beloved animals—to leave their animals behind to starve. In some cases, people are told that they must choose between bringing vital medicine and bringing their dog when they are evacuated. This is illegal and it must stop.

OPEN LETTER TO MR. BUSH FROM RUE MCCLANAHAN:

September 4, 2005

Dear President Bush:

Please show the world that America cares about people and their beloved dogs, cats and other animal companions by immediately directing federal authorities involved in evacuations from New Orleans to stop forcing residents to leave their animals behind.

One elderly woman who had stayed in her water-logged home for five days, soley because the only companion she has left in the world, her dog, could not get out, has been ordered out without her dog. Her world is no world at all now. A child was crying so hard his heart seemed about to break, because his dog was turned away from the bus he was boarding. Helicopter and boat crews sent in to the flooded areas are giving ultimatums to residents to choose between vital medicines and their animals. Abandonment is illegal, this is America. We surely have the wherewithal to rescue both and preserve the image of ourselves as a caring nation?

I beg you to pick up the phone and order federal authorities to start evacuating people with their animals. They cannot be left to starve to death in these United States.

Thank you for your attention.

Yours sincerely,

Rue McClanahan

Urgent: Tell Your Federal Representatives to Demand Animals’ Safe Evacuation From New Orleans!

2. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I hate to say it, but until a satisfactory answer can be reached in evacuating all of the PEOPLE, the animals have to take a lower priority.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What he said. Not just evacuating but housing and providing for all those people as well.

Lethal

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My fate would be the same as my dogs'. They'd have to kill me to separate me; I'd die before being rescued without my animals. No different from any other family member.

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

ABC News just reported that animals are being evacuated with their owners.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

meanwhile, at the zoo...

oh, the irony.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If only all of NO was on higher ground...

Lethal