For all the bikers here....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Queso macrumors G4

2. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Just goes to show how quickly and easily things can happen.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

thankfully i typically only ride off-road, where i am not at the mercy of fools in their cars. although i've had plenty of my fair share of spills riding dirtbikes too. :eek:

was there sound in that video?

4. iGary Guest

iGary

He was going way to fast for the volume of traffic on the road.

5. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Yeah, it's pretty much mostly people going "Are you okay? Don't try to get up", but you do hear the crash itself.

Nasty, but at least the rider's okay afterwards. And they'll be no doubting that insurance claim.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yep. Couldn't hear much...a skid, crunch and then the person landing on the pavement.

Reminds me a bit of the time something got stuck in the spokes of my bicycle. :eek:

7. Togglehead macrumors 6502

chick rider too....she wasnt going that fast

we know the dangers....i just dont like to watch it all the time....its enough of a fear, everytime i get on.....

its good she lived though....you dont see THAT often in crash clips.....=D

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oh yeah...riding to my friend's house to go swimming when I was about 12, plastic bag hanging from the handlebars with my towel in it. Bag gets caught in the front spokes, and over the handlebars I go. Bike lands on top of me, and I'm off to the doctor to get 20 stitches in my chin! Woo hoo! Got some nice scars on my chin and pinky finger to show for it. That was fun.

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Ah yes, seen this a few weeks ago on the forum were the girl (the rider) had posted it. Can you hear the driver saying, "she swerved and hit me" or something? He was being a real dick, trying to put the blame on her. I'm on dial up so can't view it all to see if it's there. Apparently he was using the hand brake to slow down, hence the tail sliding out. :rolleyes:

I'm not a biker yet but I'm starting lessons in the next few weeks. Things like this put me off a bit though. :(

10. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

It has just occured to me....what was the rider doing with a camera in the helmet? Is this a standard or common thing, so that if an accident does occur, authorities have a video to go by?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

"Video Unavailable at this time"

It got MR'd. :(

12. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I could see it....

hmm why was she wearing a camera......:confused:

13. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

You can buy little cameras that take a constant video loop just for cases like these. Otherwise you're at the mercy of witness statements, which can turn into an insurance claim nightmare.

Looking at the bike and the leathers this lady was wearing, she's not short of a bob or two, so I'm not surprised she has all the latest gadgets.

14. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

WTF.
    that car driver has no right to ever drive again.
    too bad it wasn't a 18 wheeler in that lane instead of a bike.
    that's the sort of s*** we have to deal with every day.

"she swerved into me".....how does someone behind you swerve into the front of ya ******* car. what an idiot!
    and the old, "she was going to fast".....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:mad:
    more and more riders are wearing those cams to cut through the BS "witnesses" come up with.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You think the motorcycle was going too fast or the car that hit the motorcycle?

Lethal

16. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I've been on motorcycles my whole life. They're my passion and if I'm not stuck in front of a computer (which I usually am sometimes upwards to 12 hours a day) I'm probably on a bike.

I rode on the street from 19 till present with a break from 22 to 24 while I was finishing college. That was a wild time and probably a good thing that I wasn't on two wheels.

Nevertheless, when my daughter was born 3 years ago, I sold two of my streetbikes (I still keep one which was originally my wife's) and decided to slow down a bit. In all those years and lots of close calls I made out okay. I was starting to feel like my time was coming. I know ridiculous, but... my daughter, now my son. Well, I keep the streetbike riding to a minimum and I very rarely (if ever) go back out onto the highway.

When I made this move three years ago, I went out and bought a dirtbike to replace the time spent on the street (we live in the woods). I hadn't been on a dirtbike in 15 years but let me tell you-- it's the greatest thing I've done in a long time. I'm so sorry that I didn't come back to it sooner-- I hardly miss riding on the road.

And one thing is certain-- you can get killed on a dirtbike just like on a streetbike but broken bones are more likely. I think you have a greater chance of getting hurt on a dirtbike in terms of "frequency," but usually the injury is minor. Put it this way-- when you crash on a trail there's never an 18 wheeler rushing up behind you.

Some pics:

[​IMG]

Hwy 1 in Malibu w/ my Road King

[​IMG]

Rock Store w/ my Yamaha FZ1-- who's that guy we ran into? And check out his car in the background.

[​IMG]

Two of the things I love the most!

17. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

This is a perfect example of why all motorbike riders should practice their emergency braking skills. Not many do.

When I tried it I had to agree it was the most fun I'd had with my pants on.

18. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

LOL. I ride through Central London traffic. I "practice" that every day :cool:

19. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

The biker was definetely going too fast, but that was really just a very unlucky situation. That civic span from out of nowhere. I think they would have collided whether the biker was a bit slower or not -- they just wouldn't have hit so hard.

20. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Believe me Melbourne is worse than London. But I was being serious. You shouldn't need to do any emergency braking in heavy London traffic, if you do then there's a problem with your attitude and observation skills. I was referring to when you are tooling along at a rapid clip and an utterly unpredictable thing happens — much like what happened in the movie at the top of the thread.

Emergency braking involve being able to hold your front brakes so that they are *just* about to lock up. Any less than that is not good enough. When bmw first invented their ABS system all those years ago they tested it agains the top grand prix riders. The riders believed that although the computer could do a better job than most, it could not out perform the top guys. (not dissimillar to what they said about Big Blue)

So BMW set up a wet testing area and had them stop as quick as possible, to do this they needed to hold the brakes at that magic point. They thought they did pretty well until they tried it with ABS. And this is with people who aren't afraid of a front wheel lock up, what hope for the rest of us! It is something that needs to be seriously practiced. If you need it only once in your life you'll be glad.

21. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Not going too fast but definitely too close to the civic even if it was in another lane as one must always expect a sudden lane change. While I'll admit distances and time are probably distorted the video was in real time and it seemed an emergency brake was in order once the civic's wheels started smoking. It's of course difficult to really tell but it didn't seem like the rider really reacted at all until the civic was in her lane.

22. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Only a minority of drivers in London use their indicators for lane changing, and about half of those indicate at exactly the same moment they begin their maneuver. They drive whilst talking on their mobiles and eating with one hand. Any rider worth their salt expects this and can spot the hazardous vehicles from over 100 yards away, even whilst filtering through slow traffic. Now I'm not a perfect rider, not by a long way, but the fact I've riden through this melée virtually every day for the past 8 years without being knocked off once indicates I'm doing something right.

It's important to work out your own bike's behaviour, when you first get it and then every time something that may affect the braking is changed (tyres, new pads, etc.). Once you can trust your own machine and know it's limits, you ride accordingly. There's always the chance that something like in the clip will come out of nowhere, but you can be walking on the pavement and be just as much at risk of that. Start thinking too much about it, and you'd never leave the house.

BTW, you did notice the smiley at the end of my earlier post, yes?

23. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

It does indeed indicate your observational and anticipatory skills are good :)

I wouldn't think about anything I'd just practice the skill of holding a front wheel at the point of lock up. Although you need some help to create a random situation where a friend indicate when to begin an emergency brake. This is to practice not grabbing the brake.

Yes I did but your signature sort of negates it. :D