For all the newbies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So with over 1000 new members in the past few days, I was wondering if you could post a line or two about what made you sign up and become a member. I'm very curious.

D

2. sneed macrumors regular

well...

I have been lurking here for some time, but a recent discussion about CPU speed got me pissed enough to comment. I won't go into it here, but I felt that my point of view had some merit, so I wanted to join in on the fray.

I don't know why I've kept posting... I think I just want an avitar. We'll see.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I started a 'lurkers come out from the shadows' thread back a couple months as well. It is interesting that as soon as you start posting you find yourself getting more involved.

I think one of the reasons is that often enough people respond to your posts so you feel you need to reply, and before you know it you're at a 1000 posts and not looking back:cool:

But I was even more curious about the people who joined up over the last couple of days, it really does seem a little abnormal. And its still going on, we're at 7,185 members as of this post. Truly amazing.

D

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll go easy on the newbies for this one...they just barely deserve a break.

dukedog, if you respond to every newbie post just like you did with the avatar contest you'll have 5000 in no time! :D :D :p :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

5. sneed macrumors regular

what a difference 4 months makes, eh King Cobra?

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I only responded when something needed to be said. I've never had a problem coming up with something to post, don't do 1 liners or one words, and I don't respond to every one of my own posts, please.

And for the record, I've never given newbies a hard time - unless they've been those rare individuals who just show up and start spouting off how apple sucks then dissapear to watch the fireworks. Its unfortunate that it happens every couple months or so, but what's even worse is that it's so easy to get everyone all going over a few well chosen taunts. But as a moderator I'm not really supposed to go in with my words swinging, I have more responsibility which takes away the fun sometimes.

But you should know that we've all had just 1 post before.....:D

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

sneed, it's been 4 and a half...but damn right I have improved.

dukedog, I don't think it matters if you always try to have decent posts or not, especially in this section. Take a look at you. You're well respected, well liked, say a lot, and you get to be a moderator. Plus, you have decent posts basically every single time.

Now, take a look at eye. He's well respected, well liked, comical, and a moderator. But he sometimes inputs one-liners.

So do you see where I am going? Some of the best people on the forums are not judged by just acting neutral, by responding with one-liners, or by having the most posts. All that may be fine and well, but it doesn't make sense to always try to have the best decent posts. I'm not saying you should change, but I am simply saying that you don't always need to make full blown posts that try and blow people away.

Besides, one in a while isn't going to kill you. :D :cool:

8. job macrumors 68040

job

It took me little over one month to get my 600+ posts. I joined the MR just because I had a question about buying a tower (which was still when we thought that we would see the new towers at MWNY. :D)

Other than that, the MR forums seemed to have a great community, far better than the other forum I was in before (the Tactical-Ops forums.) That forum was spam a minute. No one cared what you wrote/posted; I think some people are approaching 10,000 posts. :eek: There was also a lot of low-brow, crude humor being passed around, not to mention that fact that a possible pediophile was using the board posing as a female. :eek: :eek:

Yeah, I'll take the MR quality over BS quantity any day. :D :D

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

It took me a little over a year to get my 500 posts ;) . I had been lurking at MR since MWNY '00 and after MWSF '01 I started posting. I think my first posts were in a thread dealing with Apple Mock-ups or something. I think I had made a mock-up of an Apple PDA (sorry eye, but back then it was still possible). Much to my surprise I have seen my PDA mock up reincarnated in various forms (someone had a keyboard with built-in Palm cradle mock-up)

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, well, that's a good one:cool: I just prefer having something to say or add - its been brought up in other threads numerous times, so we don't need to start it up again - I just prefer avoiding the one liners, but I've done a few for comedic effect, given the good taunt - I just don't do that all the time. You should see some of the treads jello, rower and teabgs have gotten into in the private forum. I had to go and extract posts to keep a thread on topic, not to be used as a psuedo-flame war. Its fun sometimes to do that once in a while, and I do.

D

11. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Just wondering....am I still considered a newbie?

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Shaolin, if you have less than 30 posts, you are in the Flamer-Danger zone. If not, welcome to Macrumors! :D

hitman, how many times do you have to post you made 600+ posts in a month? Are you bored or what? :eek: :p

It took me about 80 days or so to hit 500.
    Then, it took me a little over a month to hit 1000.
    Only 20 days later I have 1400. I'm a threat for the top posters!

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not until you post 4 consectutive days of over 100 posts/day or knock jello out of the all time posts/day of 200+

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

15. job macrumors 68040

job

Well since I registered way back in January, but have only started posting in June, my posts per day count is a bit off. I'll let you do the math. :D :D

I'm not bored, I just have a lot of time on my hands. :D

16. job macrumors 68040

job

Is that a one-line duke post I see? :eek: :D

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

That basically is. I have already welcomed dukestreet to Macrumors.com. I wonder if he'll like it here. :p :D :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

18. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I visited this site for a about a year…

I guess it was MWNY that made me sign up. I was dissappointed in the show because (1) no new PowerMacs, (2) the paid transition to .mac, and (3) the price of Jaguar. There were a lot of positives about the show, but so many negatives. i just wanted to contribute. This is by far the best rumor/mac site out there.

19. job macrumors 68040

job

I think we will be seeing him for quite a while still. :D :D

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm with you, Cursor.

hitman, what do you mean "still"? It's his first time! :p :D

21. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

just remember, i can *delete* threads and posts :D

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

You know, duke, it's not a nice thing to abuse your quickly-attributed moderator status like that. :D :eek:

Well, I'm glad we finally have another convert! :D :D Let's find out what other newbies have to say about their joining up around this time of year.

23. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: For all the newbies!

This thread isn't coming out quite the way you wanted,is it? ;)

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: For all the newbies!

not at all, I was hoping for a few of the more recent members who joined over the past couple days to chime in, but hey, that's what happens. I'll end up having to cut most of this thread and move it to the postcount forum....where it will die quite death...

oh, and cobra - i'm not about to go piss off arn, that would be just stupid of me.....:D

D

25. King Cobra macrumors 603

>cobra - i'm not about to go piss off arn, that would be just stupid of me.....:D
    Why would he be p!ssed? I didn't say you had to do it all the time, and once in a while isn't going to kill you. Besides, the community section is supposed to be an area where people get along, whether it's a one-liner or a whole story. Nobody gives a **** how long/short a post is, as long as it has a point. If not, at least try to put a sense of humor in it, as eye usually does. I'm working on it as well.

I'm well aware that this is a Mac forum web site, but since we had this it's now a community. You should be able to bullsh!t about anything you want to, as long as it stays in the boundries of the topic of the forum/discussion.

C'mon, newbies. I just had a feast and I don't need to eat/strike for another week or so. :D :cool: