For all the people that are using their Iphone 5 without a case..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bankaimadness, Feb 16, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2010
    How are your's holding up?

I was thinking of using mine without a case since I want to actually feel the quality of the materials used.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 7, 2011
    Black iPhone 5.

Had it since last November.

Started using it without a case the start of this year. Still the same as day one and I don't baby it either. I don't keep it in the same pocket as my keys or slam it down on a counter or anything though.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2010
    Wow nice!
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2009
    I switch from case to no case and prefer no case. Love how the thinness of the phone fits in my hand. Having a case on adds weight and isn't stable using one hand. Makes me use two hands often especially trying to reach other side of screen with thumb. Dropped once but I'm not complaining. I got over it because its just a phone.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2010
    Any marks or scratches when you dropped it?
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2011
    I've had a black iPhone 5 since October. No dents, nicks, or blemishes. It goes into a special pouch in a fanny pack when I go out. Still looks like new.
  7. 2IS, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    What would that prove, really? If he says no? It's made of aluminum and glass. It can/will scratch, ding, break when dropped against hard surfaces.

Don't use it naked because you think maybe it's indestructible, do it knowing that it's just as fragile as you suspect it might be and if it breaks or scratches, it's of little consequence to you.
  8. macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2009
    Dropped on tile floor. There's two small dents on the back edge top and bottom corners. Doesn't bother me since I don't look at it.
  9. macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2012
    I used mine without a case but had films on the front, back and sides. I had a few scuffs/scratches around the bezel but it didn't bother me too much.
  10. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2008
    ok. a little off topic here.
    The reason why I use a case for my iPhone5 is If I accidentally drop my iPhone and got a small dent on my iPhone, my AppleCare will be gone with it.
    don't feel worth risking that 'naked' feeling to killing off my AppleCare...
  11. macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2013
    Put a case on it because it will scratch. Keys don't scratch screens the the bits of sand in you pocket that does. You are going to drop it one day because accidents do happen. The question is are you willing to live with a dented, cracked & scratched up iPhone you paid $650 for?
  12. macrumors 68020

Dec 13, 2012
    Southern California
    My wonderful Mophie Juice Pack Helium finally arrived. Now I no longer have to be concerned with my iPhone 5's fragile finish.
  13. macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    My iPhone 5 is naked and not scratched at all
    I have had a 3GS, a 4, a 4s and now the 5, and I have never dropped or scratched any of them

It is possible to take care of devices and not put them in a case
  14. macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Feb 14, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Naked since day one. Phone slipped out of my pocket and down beside my seat in the car and came out with two pretty deep dents next to the power button. I was upset for all of 28 seconds then realized it's inevitable.

Besides, it adds character and could potentially be used to identify it should it get lost or stolen.
  15. macrumors 601

Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    Naked. But when I'm going out to a club, maybe the air jacket. Just in case haha

I have dings on the bezel and screen is scratched but can only be seen in direct sunlight with the screen off.
  16. macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Naked since day 1 (White i5). No noticeable scratches or dents. I keep it in my front pocket by itself. If I lay it on a table, it's usually face down. I think the screen is much more durable and less likely to scratch than the aluminum back. So far, so good. If I drop it and put a big ding in it, then I'll use a case to cover it up.
  17. macrumors member

Sep 16, 2012
    Fully naked (no screen protector), since launch day. No issues or scratches.
  18. macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2012
    Orlando FL
    Had it naked for about 3 months but it has a few nicks and dents on it now. I have the black iphone 5 so they are pretty noticeable. As much as I'd love to use it naked always I'm just too much of a clutz to do so.

I am now using the mophie helium case for the iphone 5 for a few days and I have to say I love it! It's not too incredibly bulky and I love the soft finish on it, and of course I can get an extra 75-80% charge whenever I need it. Very happy with it.
  19. macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2011
    Mine has been naked since release and it's in great shape. I use it extensively. I do sit it on a mouse pad at work and at home and never carry anything in the same pocket with it. I'm very satisfied with its durability.
  20. macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
    I've had a white iPhone 5 since early November and have never used a case. I hate them.

It's like new. The only thing that reveals its age is the screen, that's full of smudges. But otherwise like new.
  21. macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I've had a black one since day one and a white one since december, both are holding up without any noticeable damage at all. The wife drops her white one in her purse with everything else too...
  22. macrumors 68000

Jul 21, 2012
    I have a black i5 with a extremely thin and open case (case is like .2 mm thin) and my phone is spotlesss and flawless still to this day
  23. macrumors 68030

Nov 10, 2010
    This one? Man, that makes the iPhone 5 about a foot long...

24. macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2013
    Consider yourself lucky then. Because e I've seen many crazy after there iphone dropped on concert & cracked.
  25. macrumors 68040

Oct 21, 2012
    I use mine without a case and it's perfect, except one minor mark on the bottom edge which I caused by putting it down on my keys by accident.

A dab of sharpie, however, and it's as good as new. Even if you look close you can't see it (black sharpie is a perfect colour match for the beveled edge of the black one).