Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
How are your's holding up?

I was thinking of using mine without a case since I want to actually feel the quality of the materials used.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Black iPhone 5.

Had it since last November.

Started using it without a case the start of this year. Still the same as day one and I don't baby it either. I don't keep it in the same pocket as my keys or slam it down on a counter or anything though.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Black iPhone 5.

Had it since last November.

Started using it without a case the start of this year. Still the same as day one and I don't baby it either. I don't keep it in the same pocket as my keys or slam it down on a counter or anything though.

Wow nice!

katai

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I switch from case to no case and prefer no case. Love how the thinness of the phone fits in my hand. Having a case on adds weight and isn't stable using one hand. Makes me use two hands often especially trying to reach other side of screen with thumb. Dropped once but I'm not complaining. I got over it because its just a phone.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I switch from case to no case and prefer no case. Love how the thinness of the phone fits in my hand. Having a case on adds weight and isn't stable using one hand. Makes me use two hands often especially trying to reach other side of screen with thumb. Dropped once but I'm not complaining. I got over it because its just a phone.

Any marks or scratches when you dropped it?

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I've had a black iPhone 5 since October. No dents, nicks, or blemishes. It goes into a special pouch in a fanny pack when I go out. Still looks like new.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Any marks or scratches when you dropped it?

What would that prove, really? If he says no? It's made of aluminum and glass. It can/will scratch, ding, break when dropped against hard surfaces.

Don't use it naked because you think maybe it's indestructible, do it knowing that it's just as fragile as you suspect it might be and if it breaks or scratches, it's of little consequence to you.

Last edited:

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I used mine without a case but had films on the front, back and sides. I had a few scuffs/scratches around the bezel but it didn't bother me too much.

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
ok. a little off topic here.
The reason why I use a case for my iPhone5 is If I accidentally drop my iPhone and got a small dent on my iPhone, my AppleCare will be gone with it.
don't feel worth risking that 'naked' feeling to killing off my AppleCare...

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
How are your's holding up?

I was thinking of using mine without a case since I want to actually feel the quality of the materials used.

Put a case on it because it will scratch. Keys don't scratch screens the the bits of sand in you pocket that does. You are going to drop it one day because accidents do happen. The question is are you willing to live with a dented, cracked & scratched up iPhone you paid $650 for?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Put a case on it because it will scratch. Keys don't scratch screens the the bits of sand in you pocket that does. You are going to drop it one day because accidents do happen. The question is are you willing to live with a dented, cracked & scratched up iPhone you paid $650 for?

My iPhone 5 is naked and not scratched at all
I have had a 3GS, a 4, a 4s and now the 5, and I have never dropped or scratched any of them

It is possible to take care of devices and not put them in a case

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Naked since day one. Phone slipped out of my pocket and down beside my seat in the car and came out with two pretty deep dents next to the power button. I was upset for all of 28 seconds then realized it's inevitable.

Besides, it adds character and could potentially be used to identify it should it get lost or stolen.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Naked. But when I'm going out to a club, maybe the air jacket. Just in case haha

I have dings on the bezel and screen is scratched but can only be seen in direct sunlight with the screen off.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
Naked since day 1 (White i5). No noticeable scratches or dents. I keep it in my front pocket by itself. If I lay it on a table, it's usually face down. I think the screen is much more durable and less likely to scratch than the aluminum back. So far, so good. If I drop it and put a big ding in it, then I'll use a case to cover it up.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
Had it naked for about 3 months but it has a few nicks and dents on it now. I have the black iphone 5 so they are pretty noticeable. As much as I'd love to use it naked always I'm just too much of a clutz to do so.

I am now using the mophie helium case for the iphone 5 for a few days and I have to say I love it! It's not too incredibly bulky and I love the soft finish on it, and of course I can get an extra 75-80% charge whenever I need it. Very happy with it.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Mine has been naked since release and it's in great shape. I use it extensively. I do sit it on a mouse pad at work and at home and never carry anything in the same pocket with it. I'm very satisfied with its durability.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I've had a white iPhone 5 since early November and have never used a case. I hate them.

It's like new. The only thing that reveals its age is the screen, that's full of smudges. But otherwise like new.

PantherCreek

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I've had a black one since day one and a white one since december, both are holding up without any noticeable damage at all. The wife drops her white one in her purse with everything else too...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I have a black i5 with a extremely thin and open case (case is like .2 mm thin) and my phone is spotlesss and flawless still to this day

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
My wonderful Mophie Juice Pack Helium finally arrived. Now I no longer have to be concerned with my iPhone 5's fragile finish.
This one? Man, that makes the iPhone 5 about a foot long...

air-to-helium-side-by-side.jpeg

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
My iPhone 5 is naked and not scratched at all
I have had a 3GS, a 4, a 4s and now the 5, and I have never dropped or scratched any of them

It is possible to take care of devices and not put them in a case

Consider yourself lucky then. Because e I've seen many crazy after there iphone dropped on concert & cracked.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I use mine without a case and it's perfect, except one minor mark on the bottom edge which I caused by putting it down on my keys by accident.

A dab of sharpie, however, and it's as good as new. Even if you look close you can't see it (black sharpie is a perfect colour match for the beveled edge of the black one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.