For anyone that has bought a house

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by paleck, May 10, 2006.

1. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

These are my thoughts on buying a house for the first time right now.

http://paleck.com/archives/2006/05/homeowner_or_homeless.php

2. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Thats why I decided to build my own house. Or rather hired a contractor to build it for me. Got the house I wanted at the price I wanted, with no ****ing realitors.

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I guess we've been lucky on the homebuying front. We had such a great experience working with the agent who helped us buy our first home that we went back to her when it was time to move up to a bigger house.

It is definitely kind of scary and crazy the first time you go through the process, but once it's all over and you're settled in to your new house the memories of all the problems will begin to fade. For example, I can now only barely remember that call from Countrywide, on the morning that we were going to close on our first house, telling me that I needed to fax proof of my college graduation to them immediately or else we couldn't go through with it. Yes, that was a fun day. :D

4. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I know exactly what you are talking about!!!

I hope to close on a house next week. Insurance is the only hold up right now. (That and getting a date that the seller, my fiancé, and I can all be there). It’s a bit nerve racking as I never did find the “perfect” place, but this one comes a lot closer then any of the others. Funny how I found a great location, a great layout, the garage I need, a nice landscape, and room for my office, just not all in the same place! But I am out of time and really need to find a place.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Me too. We've had much more than 5-10 minute tours of any house we've seriously considered * and have had excellent real estate agents that have been worth their weight in gold (about what they took home too ;)).

Selling on the other hand... We got to see a large number of let's just say sub-par real estate agents representing the potential buyers of our last house. Even the best one, whe was representing the buyers we settled on, was quite unprofessional at times. And the buyers we thought were so solid flaked out on us a bit at the end since their funds were delayed and they were demanding a repair we had already agreed on not doing and thus almost derailing the purchase of our new home. My agent and I had to make a couple of nasty phone calls to the buyer to get his act together.

* Of course there have been some houses the agent thought we might want to look at that we didn't even get out of the car for they just weren't right for us from the curb.