Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
I am curious to hear the user experience of the Android tablet from some of you who have been using an Android tablet now for some time. I know many first got the Nexus 7 as it represented a niche that Apple was not covering. What was your everyday experience like? I hear many on here mentioning how they will now be getting a iPad mini. That the user experience was lacking with the Android system and how the product quality doesn't match the Apple product. Others state it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

I am going to see if I can find a local store with a Nexus 7 in stock that has a good return policy and no restocking fees so that I can play with one for a few weeks and "live with it."

53x12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
So I guess there are fewer Android users on here than I thought. Says a lot.

ithinkimalion

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
I had a Nexus 7. At first I really liked it, but as time went on the poor app selection killed it for me. The size was great though, and Android has some really nice features.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have the original Kindle Fire... Does that qualify? I use it occasionally for reading a book. Surfing the web with is horrible because I can never set the font size properly. My eyes aren't the best, and the font is either too small so I make it bigger....then the next site looks gigantic. It's just too irritating for me to bother with. It sometimes sits alone, battery dead for weeks at a time. If it wasn't a gift to me from my son, I would have sent it back. I don't know if this is the typical android experience but so far I'm not impressed. To each his own I guess.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
My first tablet was a Motorola Xoom (1st series) which I bought for the same price as a then current iPad 2. The main reason I chose it as I believed that more mobile apps where coming and I needed 3G connectivity from the device.
So far I regret the purchase. In fact one of the worst I have done so far. The apps horrible, tablet apps are non-existance and the browsing experience is not all that good (browser crashes often). Even though it has more storage, and 3G connectivity, I decided to replace it with an iPad 4.

Im sure new android tablets hardware have improved, but the selection of apps is still lacking. I would recommend against purchasing an android tablet. I think a WindowsRT tablet might be a better alternative.

microcutz

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Dumbarton, UK
I have an Asus Transformer and with the right firmware its brilliant. Its dated in the fast paced world of tablets but still very usable. I love the fact I can attach my keyboard to extend the battery life, add two usb slots, add SD card slot and to have a very pleasurable keyboard!

I would have liked to have owned the newest incarnation if I was not going for a iPad(Retina) as my next tablet. I was toying with the iPad mini, but the lower resolution and price has kind of put that off for me. For an extra £120 I can have a full size iPad with a much larger and clearer display. The main reason for my change is the fact I am purchasing a mac(iMac) and want to start developing for IOS, I love a tablet and instead of buying a ipod(for which it would only be to test software) I have chose to upgrade my tablet.

I cant comment if its the right move until I receive my iPad, but I think it will and am quite excited about it. If I had the money I would also own an ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T also.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Android Tablet Experience:
Motorola Xoom (Sold)
Nook Color (Sold)
ThinkPad Tablet
Nook Tablet (Sold)

iOS Tablet Experience:
iPad 1 (Sold)
iPad 2

OS: Both are well polished as of this time. Originally, HoneyComb was crap. 4.0 fixed many things and by 4.1 UI lag was greatly reduced. iOS was already polished when I got my used iPad 1.

Apps: iOS apps on the market are leagues ahead of what is offered on the Android market. Period.
(note: My usage does not include games, I have no idea what is offered for gaming on either end)

Hardware: Android tablets have faster processors, more RAM, more storage. Yet the feel of the devices... is like I'm running a 486 on my tablet. Both of my iPads had inferior hardware but ran like champs. I still use and prefer my iPad 2 - only opting for a mini because I want a smaller footprint.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I own a Nexus 7 for Android development purposes. I have tried using it, but I just don't like it. For reading the default font looks absolutely terrible, even with its decently high PPI. The screen also flickers a bit when at the lowest brightness setting.

You can almost touch type on the device, but there is one major software issue. When the keyboard is up you still have the soft keys on the bottom, so when touch typing you will end up on the homescreen when you were trying to hit the spacebar with your thumb.

It is not the worst experience, and there are some good parts (Extensive system wide sharing menu for one) but overall I would much rather just grab my macbook air instead. So I think that is a bit telling.

sparayno1

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I had a nexus 7 before, but ultimately sold it because of issues with apps ported from iOS such as game loft games. The battery also is bad maxing out at 6-7 hours screen time while iPad could reach up to 15 hours. Also if you root it is a never ending journey of tweaking settings and roms to find the perfect one. I then realized that the simplicity of iOS is better and more efficient.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I have had several versions of the Galaxy Tab, the HTC Flyer, Nexus 7, all 3 iPads and currently have the Galaxy Note 10.1 My favorite is the Note. Its very light, nice enough display and offers features and functions you cant find in any other tablet. However, I will be returning it and getting the Nexus 10.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Got my first Android tablet last year, was running older hardware so a little sluggish at time but worked fine

This year I have bought the SII & the Nexus 7

I have the same experience as I did when using iOS

Mail, Calendar, Contacts all sync between devices
iTunes syncs from my Mac to both devices
I have no problem with apps, everything I want is there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.