For Macbook owners with time on their hands.

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpookTheHamster, Jul 28, 2006.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've been deciding whether or not to buy a Macbook or keep my current PC + PB combo, the outcome of this investigation will make my mind up.

If you've got an MB with XP on, please could you download the demo of Live For Speed and tell me how well it runs with the graphics turned more to the "high" end of the scale (preferably on a busyish server). Tell me what sort of framerates you get, and what spec your Macbook is. It's not a particularly resource intensive game, but I want to know if the Macbook is up to it.

As a reward, enjoy playing one of the finest racing sims around (it's a lot better with a wheel, trust me)

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'll try it for you. Once I've tried it I'll edit this post with results.

EDIT:

All right, I've tried it. All the options at maximum, 11/11 on the server (I was the 11th). My MacBook specs are a 2 Ghz Core Duo, with 512 Mb of RAM (other specs are identical - FSB, HDD, etc.)

The game ran very smoothly - I don't know how to check for frame rates, but if you tell me how I'll check for that.

3. nickkelbackk macrumors member

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If there's a demo of it.

5. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

hahah dude I don't even have a macbook and I can tell you it runs perfectly.

6. King Wali macrumors newbie

lol

Also, has anyone tried playing CoD2 on a MacBook? Mines fully upgraded, and was wondering what kind of specs I might be gettings. :)

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Try the demo – I have and it runs quite well.

8. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Thank you Mackilroy, it was kind of you to do that for me. Looks like I'll be getting a Macbook, then :D

There's an option somewhere to show a frame rate counter/ clock in the HUD, but I usually turn it off because it slows down my frame rate (ha ha).

How did you find the game? I hated it at first, but if you stick with it (and use a joystick or wheel) you'll find it extremely addictive.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

but not great on the stock 512mb of ram:eek:

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Actually, you're wrong. ;) I was running it on the stock 512 Mb of RAM.

As for LfS, it was okay. I'm betaing a racing game for OS X, though, so I don't know if I'll play it a lot. And I don't have a racing wheel, so I just had to use the mouse.