For Southern Californians Only: Feel the earthquake this morning?

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5orbust, Jun 12, 2005.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

5.6 magnitude, out in the Anza-Borego area. Anyone feel it? My house shook a bit, woke me up, but that was about it. Anyone have anything broken?

Magnitude 5.6 Earthquake shakes San Diego County

Last Updated:
    06-12-05 at 9:04AM

A moderate earthquake occurded at 8:41 AM Sunday Morning. The 5.6 magnitued quake was centered 6 miles south east of Anza in the Anza-Borrego Desert.

The quake was felt from the San Diego border, all the way up in the Los Angeles County.

There are no immediate reports of damage.

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Well, I'm in west Los Angeles and felt nothing... :eek:

3. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I don't know how you Californians put up with that stuff. The floods and the fires too... :eek:

4. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Floods, fires, earthquakes, droughts, famine, locusts, death of our first born children...

God knows why anyone would want to live here.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Damn, that was fun!

Sitting on my loft bed... the great thing about California, you know nobody was hurt seriously. A 6.0 here does nothing-- in Chicago, it is the end of the world.

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I felt it this morning. It was a pretty cool feeling. But at the same time it's sort of scary. It was really small here (San Diego), but even so, you get a feeling of complete helplessness. I mean, the whole earth is shaking. I can hardly imagine a big earthquake.

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Yes I did

Yes, I felt it. It was rather minor. I went throuth the Whitier Narrows quake in 1987 (I was about a mile from the epicenter) and remember waking up to walls shaking like they were rubber, shelves crashing down around me. It's a hell of a thing to wake up to.

You have to remember that earthquakes are generally harmless, it's the stuff that falls on you that kills, unlike floods, fires, avalanches, tornadoes, etc. One of my friends had her apartment collapse during the Northridge earthquake and she spent a few days sleeping in the park in a tent. It's just something we Californians deal with.

8. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

That might have to do with our building codes and the fact that Californians are bouncy.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Maybe. Or the fact that we like making our milkshakes the good old fashioned way.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I live near Llama (I'm the one who rang your doorbell and ran away the other night). We felt the quake, shrugged, checked the news later for the size and epicenter, and called some friends southeast of us to see what they had to say about it. One had a few picture frames shift, but no damage.

Have scientists explained why quakes are almost always in the early morning, at least around here?

11. Zachariah macrumors member

I'm a Southern Californian living out-of-state and I have to say I pretty much miss feeling earthquakes.

(no, I did not feel this one)

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I am going to miss the occasional quake. I wasn't planning on moving to Arizona, but after spring break I decided that it's preferable to the overcrowding and ridiculous cost of california. Still, there are plenty of things I am going to miss about the state.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'll be there soon enough. Glad to see that the quakes are going to greet me again. 5.6? No big deal. It'll be my luck that there will be an 8.4 while I'm there for the first 30 minutes. :D

14. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Its God's practical joke. "HA, woke your asses up with that one! Man... I crack myself up sometimes."

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The quake didn't even make the top story on the 11pm news just now.

Top story in Los Angeles: airplane with mechanical problems returns to LAX airport right after takeoff

2nd story: 5.6 earthquake south of Palms Springs; 3.0 aftershock; more aftershocks expected.

3rd story: bear sightings

16. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

You know, in our post 9/11 world, nothing scares us more than anything remotely having to do with broken airplanes.

17. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Up here in Santa Clarita I didn't feel a thing.

Of course, I was in Tarzana during the '94 quake like 2 miles from the epicenter and I slept right through it :D

18. panphage macrumors 6502

I'm in Los Feliz and the quake woke me up. I was up LATE last nite too. :mad:

19. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

In Mira Mesa (north San Diego city, near Marine Corps air station) I did indeed feel it. But it was so quick, I was thinking sonic boom rather than earthquake, even though flight rules prohibit exceeding speed of sound in populated areas.

20. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

People have been asking me this all day, and once again, no :(

21. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

It's starting to get overcrowded and rediculous costing here too (thanks to all the people moving here from California!) ;)

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I didn't even know there was a real earthquake til about 5pm, when i saw a news report on it, i thought i had dreamt the entire thing.

23. baummer macrumors 6502a

Same here, until I spoke to my girlfriend and she asked if I felt it. I usually sleep through earthquakes, but this one woke me up, and I'm in Riverside, about an two hours or so away from the epicenter.

24. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I live right in the path of the Marine helicopters that fly at all odd hours of the day and night, so when it woke me up, I just assumed they were helos until, of course, I heard no rotor/engine sounds.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well it certainly wasn't felt up this far on the Central Coast.