For the 17"FP iMac users...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by goodtimes5, Feb 13, 2005.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Is it normal to feel a cool breeze coming out of the fan a full foot above the fan? I'm not doing anything intensive; I'm just running Safari and iTunes.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Are the fans making load sounds? Or are you just complaining of good air movement?

3. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The truth, the iMac isnt as quiet as they make out when doing processor intensive stuff like using iTunes and another program at the same time. You can turn down the settings by going to the Energy Saver under Systems Preferences to change Processor Performace under the option tab to Automatic. This should help make the fans run a little quieter, but will also slow down your computer just a bit. Now, there has been a problem with bad fans in the iMacs, so if it is making these sounds from when you first turn the Mac on and it should be hot enough to warrent fans yet, then that needs to be taken care of by Apple. Call them up on their tech support line.

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

6. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Maybe I should have specific: It's the FP G4 iMac, the ones praised for their silence.

Another piece of the puzzle: the cd tray is hot when I eject it, even if I haven't been using any cds. The cd drive is right under the main fan.

7. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

I think your computer is fine if the air is cool like you said.

8. punkmac macrumors regular

hot FP iMac...

I have the same model. All I can say is it is quiet and only comes on "full blast" when loading a CD or doing HEAVY work. I do feel the air a foot off the top, I'm happy about that. (It's working)

I don't know what would cause the heat.

Hope you find out.(get's a little worried...)