For the attention of the Female user base. Period related questions.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jive, Jun 20, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

How early can your period be? Is it possible to get it around 5 or 6 days early?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, this thread certainly got off to a good start. I guess that's what happens if you preface your title with "For the attention of the Female user base"...:eek:

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Can do but relatively unusual if someone's pretty regular - very few women have an exact 28 day cycle.

Stress can make it either later or earlier.

The most common reason for someone's shifting is being in very close contact with other women when all the cycles will change slightly to match. I remember being astonished when I head that but experience has borne it out.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

The poster edited his original post, with the original question leading to this comment "Did you break another one? LOL!!!" which I believe was quite rude when the guy is worrying about a serious issue, and thus the thread getting off to a bad start. Even though it would off not any way.

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm still trying to figure out why he wants his girlfriend to have an early period anyway? :confused:

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Last night the guy was worried about certain propalactic devices breaking, now he's worried about menstrual cycles. :confused:

7. Lau Guest

I was wondering this too, hence my question. The only reason I could think of was that she said she had her period so he couldn't get any, and he doesn't believe her...:D

I think we need jive to clarify.

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

jive was concerned about his girlfriend having a period 5-6 days early and if she could be pregnant as a result.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I've always wondered if there's any science behind this. I mean, I believe it happens, but do we know why? It's quite fascinating IMO.

IMO - In My Orifice, for those who didn't know.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

WOW! You're good! I nominate you to handle these types of threads from here on out.

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Lets at least try to keep this at a level slightly above the schoolyard shall we?

12. iGav macrumors G3

That's rare though... (to the point where every girl I know says it's bollocks) exception maybe... but certainly not the rule. Even the lesbians I know don't sync.

I lived with 3 women for a few years, and they never sync'd... all 3 at different times of the month... meaning that I only had 1 week off out of every month, except when my girlfriend was living with us, then every week was... menstrual week. :p

Though... to be fair, they didn't bitch nor use it as an excuse like some women do.

13. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I think it's one or more of the following reasons:

1) There is no evolutionary reason. When hormones are floating around in the air, the body responds, and it is easier to "fall in" with a cycle than fight against it. The same reason why people walking side-by-side will walk in-time with one another's step.
    2) Back in the days in which we were a bit more tribal, or when our ancestors had harem-style societies with a dominant male, the females might have benefited from all being receptive at the same time so they could compete for his attention on an equal footing with one another.
    3) Something else I don't know.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've heard it's quite common. Most of the girls I talk to about this sort of stuff seem to think it's true. Maybe it's just some sort of placebo effect taking place though.

No, silly. It's got nothing to do with the moon. It's based on the tidal patterns. ;)

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This from Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cycle#Overview

17. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

All I know is that when I was in college my roommate got very mad at me when she started having 21 day cycles like I did....

As far as the OP's post goes, it's conceivable (ha ha! pun intended) that a pregnant woman will spot--that can happen around the time of conception or around the time the period would have started, but I don't think it would be as heavy as normal mentruation. If there's a lot of blood then she's either having a normal period or there could be a miscarriage. Someone more knowledgable on the subject can correct me, but that's what I've been reading the last few days....

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I can assure you, I had nothing to do with it. ;)

And to the OP: as mentioned, yes, it's possible, and also yes, she might be pregnant, and, finally, FWIW, you can get pregnant if you have sex while on your period. Well, not you. But she could.

Consider having her take a test. They're pretty reliable. Or wait a few weeks and then take one, which would be more reliable.

19. iGav macrumors G3

Odd... through Uni, 6 of my friends (all girls) lived together throughout the 3 years they didn't sync, 2 of my best friends (the gay ones) haven't sync'd and they've been seeing each other for 7 years, and the others that still live in pairs or gaggles haven't either. Maybe they're the freaks???? hmmmm actually that'd explain a lot of things. heh.

Oh... and congratulations on your limited membership of the pot belly club, you should fit in just nicely within the next 4 months or so. heehee. ;) :p :D

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've personally seen the period syncing first hand. My high school wrestling team had 6 of us women; and ya can bet we synced up. :p Also, I used to spend massive amounts of time w/ this one girl friend, and we synced up. Annnd, one last example, when I was on the crew team, quite a few of my rowers would end up asking me if I had a spare tampon/napkin (which I did, since, well, we were synced :p).

I've been taught that it's because of hormones and if you tend to sweat around each other, it ups the likelihood-- sort of makes sense since two of my examples feature very sweat-inducing activities.

As for why this would be beneficial; one theory I've read is that when people lived more nomadically, this benefited since it was easier to settle down in one spot for the duration of the majority of the women's periods (I think some Native American groups were also more inclined to believe that menstruating women were extremely powerful and should be apart from the rest of the group-- so that would tie in w/ the syncing being an adaptation to aid lifestyle).

21. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I'm a medical student so here are my prelimanary questions:

Are you taking any type of hormones (estradiol, medroxyprogesteron acetate)??

Are you taking any type of birth control/ did you JUST stop taking any?

Was this the first time you've been early? Has it been on time previously?

The most important question (If you dont want to answer I understand) How old are you?

22. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

My girlfriend got onto the same cycle as her friend when they were sharing a flat. I don't think it's an old wives' tale.

23. iGav macrumors G3

You'd have thought lesbians then would've been sync'd to atomic clock levels of accuracy. heh.