for the first time in a while..I *hate* apple

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asif786, Feb 5, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Hey,

I recently purchased iLife 05 and I love it. I was making a slideshow today in iPhoto and it turned out really good (I purchased some great music from iTMS to fit the theme).

Anyway, I wanted to see what it was like on windows/check it all worked OK, so I emailed it to myself. I downloaded it, and I nearly fainted when quicktime told me that I needed to activate my computer for iTMS to play the slideshow!

I cant believe they could do something like this. Steve's always yapping on about how you can make great slidehsows and email them to family..yeah right. That's incredibly two faced of both him and apple.

I hate using DRM stripping apps because I've never had the need to - but Apple, if you think I'm going to pay you £50 to have my purchased music basically useless, you must be kidding me.

Does anyone know if this restriction was added in iPhoto 5.0.1? I it was, it looks as though I'll have to downgrade a notch..

<end rant>

/asif

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, with none itms songs you can email the slide shows with no problem. You need to authorize the computer that you are sending the itms song to. The reason for that is apple wants to limit on piracy. You can only send the itms song to 5 other computers. I see it as a no big deal because of piracy and I see it as a good way to prevent piracy.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I can accept the 5 computers for music files but when you've put it to a spreadsheet and - as Apple encourage you to do, share it with your family, but can't. It's annoying where DRM gets in the way of you doing what you want to do.

I understand that it's done to stop people ripping the song into quicktime movies and then recording it as an unprotected song but in reality - how many people are going to do that? Far fewer than want to be able to send their slideshow to their granny.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, stop being such a baby. Authorize your Windows computer, and get on with life.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

What's up with this comment? What if you have more than 5 relatives who you want to sent this slideshow to? Do you have to throw a coin to decide who won't get it? I think it's a perfectly valid claim that you can use your music purchases like this without having to authorize the computer. And you should really try to stop being so harsh.

6. mim macrumors 6502

Hmmm...asif786's got a fair point I think.

The easy thing to do is to burn it to a CD, and then re-rip it for your slideshow. Seems a bit stupid, but unfortunately stupid seems to be order of the day when it comes to reasonable copyright restrictions these days.

I'm not sure that this is Apple's fault....it seems more like an oversight really. Write to them and see if they change it.

7. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I'm amazed that the DRM actually sticks to the music through all those manipulations. Bit of a pain though....

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

iLife 05 was a mistake

This was the worst feature of iLife '05. I have been using Garageband more to make my own soundtracks and they are cool but sometimes it is nice to use a song from a pro that has words that fit the topic.

On a slighly separate topic, I cashed a iTunes gift certificate on one of my non-iTunes based Mac. I didn't type in @mac for my login so now I have 2 accounts with iTunes. I can't transfer the certificate so having that slideshow feature to transfer my music from my mistake account to my real iTunes account would be have much easier.

Next time I'll cash in my iTunes certificates on my Mac that has my iTunes music.

9. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

I look forward to the day that you want to make a slideshow and give it to more than five people.

My point is, it's a silly thing for apple to do. If someone wants DRM free music, they burn it and then re-rip it. They dont make a slideshow and then take the music from there..adding this feature was a mistake because it will annoy *lots* of people and isnt even going to achieve much.

Does anyone know if the same restrictions apply when you upload the movie to your homepage?

-asif

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

You've gotta be joking right ?... That's where the "mac Cult" comments come from- asif clearly makes a good point, but you tell him he's being a baby...lol.. Believe it or not, Apple isn't perfect, & everything they do isn't always right...

11. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I imagine that that will happen, but it's got to be pretty rare. I'm sure Apple had to make a decision on how many would get to see the slideshow with the music. The music companies aren't going to let it be unlimited, there's got to be a relatively small number.

1. Your computer
    2. Your parents
    3. In-laws
    4. Brother/Sister
    5. Other Brother/Sister

It should be enough in most cases. If you wanted to do much more, you'd be in business - because the music isn't for your personal use, it's for other people's use. Get ready to pay royalties.

12. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... I don't plan on buying/using iLife '05, unless I buy a new mac sometime in the near future, so I hope Apple has this figured out by then... I mean as long as the songs are "embedded" in the movie, and cannot be easily removed for listening to by themselves, I think it's okay to remove the protection. Seriously, lets say you make a video of your wedding or something big like that, and you want to send it out to all the people that were there. You have to pick your favorite 5? C'mon Apple. Personally, if I had to do something like that, I'd have to use something else. So not only has Apple made a foolish mistake, they're most likely losing a small portion of business over it as well.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Was laughing at the list of 5 relatives though since in this modern age, you could end up with many more who would be insulted if you missed them off the list (this isn't a personal list!) but I know people it could be applied to.

Your computer
    Your mother and stepfather
    Your father and stepmother
    Your grandparents (in combinations as above?)
    Your brother/sister/stepbrother/stepsister
    Your in-laws (multiple sets)
    Your aunts/uncles/cousins

Incidentally, even if you do authorise a few to let them see it, presumably you could create a timetable for them to watch it and authorise/deauthorise accordingly. :p

PS MisterMe - get the right person next time you're trying to insult them. I was agreeing with asif and I stand by my comments that you may want to send the slideshow to more people.

14. Kreamy macrumors member

Hah, teaches u to buy music online.

Are you too cheap to get a CD? or too lazy?

15. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

16. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

LOL- Thats funny! Ok, so what gets me is that more people are taking issue with the comment above instead of the topic:) This cracks me up how many people get their panties in a knot over a gripe:)

DRM= Payment to the Artists who create! It can definatly be a hassle at times, however, how about the musicians who endlessly get ripped off by PTP clients. Imagine how much more they have to put into it to get their .03 per song royalty?? Think about it and rejoice in the fact that we are not forced to buy a whole album for one song anymore:)

In short, lifes to short to worry about 0such things....Whatever:)

17. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

We're talking about songs we purchased, therefore own, & have embedded in our homemade movies that we want to email to family members... I understand your point, but the artists have received their royalties already, since we purschased the music from the iTMS... There's a difference between sharing our finished products w/ family & ripping off the artists through piracy... I'm as uptight about piracy as anyone- I've never downloaded a song illegally, and in fact have turned down music for projects that I know was DL'ed illegally by the person trying to give it to me... This is not the same... IMHO, Apple's way off on this one...

18. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

If you have nothing constructive to say, why bother saying anything at all?

You're not going to get very far on MR with that attitude.

19. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

Ok- Lets get this straight so that I dont offend anyone here...What I "should" have said was, how about writing a letter to Apple and see if they can make some changes instead of geting "ripped" (No Pun intended:) about whats not working...Is that better?

20. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

LOL... Is that better ?... Sure, whatever... Don't worry about offending me, I'm married with children- it just isn't possible anymore...lol...

21. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

LOL- Now thats the spirit!!:)

22. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Burn the file to disc and reimport it if you really have to use that song. Remember though that technically using even a CD based track is against the law as if you sent it to a friend or family member it is technically being broadcast/shared, all apple are doing is putting a physical measure in the way to make it harder for people to do what they shouldn't.
    When steve makes his speaches he does emphasise the fact you can use your own music such as that created in Garageband and Soundtrack in your DVD's as you are the copyright holder for this. It might be annoying to you but in this day and age it is a necessary step... sadly.

23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Sigh, it is for reasons like this (.m4p format) that I absolutely despise DRM. I only use .m4a (ripped CDs) or .mp3 just so this **** doesn't happen to me. Apples claims to be "unintrusive", but a move like this makes em just as bad (if not worse) than MS with their "DRM" of .wma

And for the record, you play .wma on any computer, anywhere anytime. No "authorize" bs to stand in your way.

24. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Not to mention the fact that I don't really want everyone I share things with to have my apple id and password. Who really does?

25. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

I MUST dissagree with that - something people will do very often will be their wedding, that will include a list including all the people above, AND times two!