For the graphics whores...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2509

I just find that amazing. I loved the original PC FarCry but this. I'm rarely impressed by graphics but wow. If they have the same gameplay from FarCry 1 then I'm all over this.
    You can still see some problems like the guy running past the tree. It sort of 'jumps'.

FPS?

yes.

Your impressions?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The game play of far cry is the best single fps way i see it. The true free roam is fantastic rather then the allways scripted paths. your link only took us to the page but i guess you are referring to the new crysis game? Its a shame the Macheads dont get thess games, FarCrys scenes,islands and ability to replay the game from any point puts the engine over the doom3/Quake 4 engines in my view that uses forced paths. The new engine/game is suppose to be more impressive. Not enough has been said about the replay value in farcry,attacking points from different even opposite directions with different outcomes.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Damn, that is seriously impressive. Far Cry is one of the only games I really want to see ported for Mac.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm turning over my study and bedroom trying to find my Farcry CD. I played it a little on my laptop but because of its underpowered and downright slow loading I stopped playing. I remember fighting some helicopter on top of this hill. But thats it.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah it's quite impressive .. i really hope they got the scalability sorted out since it doesn't have the "shiny/glossy candy" look we've seen from many other engines from a few other engines

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I always loved Far Cry because of it's replay value... I played just the demo level so much it was crazy, just wanting to explore other parts of the island.

Seeing Far Cry or Crysis on the Mac is pretty unlikely though. The game started out as a GeForce 3 tech demo called X-Isle based on DirectX before later turning into the game Far Cry.

Crysis, as far as I know, is currently the first confirmed DirectX 10 (and thus Windows Vista-only) title. Very likely Halo 2 is running on DirectX 10 as well since it also is Vista-only.

Note: DirectX 10, from what I have heard, is Vista only. Windows XP, evidently, will be stuck with DirectX 9.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Are you saying I should play FarCry for my Xbox?

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Cool...It looks nice. i'm not too fond of far cry. I have the one for the xbox and i havent played no more than ten minutes of it...it looks good but i'm not interested in the gamplay.

Bless

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The Xbox games are different then the PC game.

I recently read that the new Xbox360 title "Far Cry Instincts Predator" is actually more like the PC Far Cry game as they've tried to make the environments larger and more non-linear. Also, the game also includes the original Far Cry Instincts (that came out for Xbox) with upgraded graphics as a bonus.

As for playing it on the Xbox I don't know, I haven't played any of them but the PC game was excellent. Perhaps these new macs will be able to boot Vista as well and once driver issues are sorted out that could be a way to access these specific games that have little hope of getting ported.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I believe if you read my entire post you'd actually find I said most of this already: "The Xbox games are different then the PC game."

That said I have a few comments...

Regarding archaic/dated hardware in the Xbox. Sure, by current PC standards that is very well true... BUT it does have a dedicated P3 733MHz, and GeForce4 Ti4400 equivelent graphics chip in it and none of that hardware performance is getting stolen by an OS like XP, and since the game is running at 480p at most (640x480) I'm sure it can handle the game pretty easily.

And for the console FPS remark; I have definitely been a PC FPS gamer since I can remember, from Wolfenstein 3D up to Quake 4, I know my way around a keyboard and mouse and do quite well. That said, I've definitely known console FPS gamers that were quite literally amazing with a controller in a way you wouldn't think possible. These elites exist, and could probably spank the majority of K/M FPS players in a vs match with a controller. ;)

But yeah, I am a Halo fan, be that the Xbox, PC, or Mac versions... controller or K/M, I can distribute fair amounts of death with both.

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh god yea the PC and console games were so different. Farcy PC was epic, huge open world you could explore and do anything in. the Xbox was just like any other linear FPS game.

I'd take the PC version. I've been playing loads of FPS recently, spending a ridiculous 3 hours on Half Life 2 deathmatch. you just don't have the same intense speed on consoles. that's what I'm all for. this utter speed immersion. Plus sat just a couple of feet away from my 20" widescreen monitor. HL2 in a higher res than HDTV. 40-60fps. just beautiful.

That said, Halo is a perfect example of a game working the other way around. beautiful on the console. not so good on the computer.

I reckon!

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Half-Life 2 is also a great example of how you can do really excellent graphics and still avoid the "everything is plastic wrapped" shine-syndrome of Doom 3 & company.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't know i think it's a matter of the games and of course what style of keyboard mouse player it is etc. and of course if the controller is sensitivity adjustable especially in regards to turning rates etc.
    like for in example in certain UT maps it's pretty hard to beat high-senser while in other games it's hard to get around those low sensing sniper guys ... and of course with the advent of highly adjustable laser mice which can switch between modes pretty fast some guys are ridiculous good
    (and that's coming from a semi-high-senser)

(and afaik it's a geforce _3_ ti 200-500 with modifications)

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

It does depend on the player, as there are elites on both sides (Console/PC), but I don't think that disqualifies my statements. :)

I tend to be a very-high sensor player myself, even my friends that play FPS as well think my settings are generally ridiculously high. Same on consoles, where my Halo setting is 8.

Back when Tribes was the big online PC team game I was a member of the Tribes: Havok clan "ChaOz" which, at the time, was rank 2nd in the world ladders. We had a player by the name of JohnnyBlaZe that was simply incredible. In all the time I played tribes, be that by myself, the clan, or in ranked tournaments, I never met anyone as good as he was. What was so amazing about his skill was that he usually had a ping of 250+, running on a 28.8K dial-up connection. Most of the team was sitting IN an ISP on a T3 connection and I never saw a person be able to even touch him.

Point is simply that even with limitations some people just have a natural skill, these players exist on dial-up connections, on console systems, etc... and they could outmatch nearly everyone - even if it was a PC gamer with the ultimate rig and perfect connection... there are people in the console world that could certainly best K/M players using a controller and we'll get to see that with Halo2 PC, since it will support the Xbox 360 USB controller. :)

EDIT: The GeForce4 uses the NV25 chip set which is a variant of the Xbox NV2A chip (or vice versa). The NV2A performance lands somewhere between the low/high GF4 Ti chips (4200-4800).

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Crysis is PC only at this stage and not due till 2007. For more information check out this months Edge TM magazine....

A high end pc now, will be the minimum spec.... Expect to have to invest BIG in order to get the game running at this grahpical finesse....

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

FarCry was the last PC game I played before switching to the Mac and selling my PC. :) Let's just say that I had some anxiety in saying goodbye to FarCry; it's a great game.

I've played the Xbox "lite" version of FarCry ("Instincts") and it's not bad. It still looks good and the controls play well. It's not as open or dynamic as the PC version, though.

A 360 version would, of course, be a marvel to see what they can do, especially after playing Oblivion and seeing the power of the 360 in action.

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Oh, and to touch upon a point implied in the title of this thread:

Graphis do not make the game. They are not the end-all, be-all of gaming. That's the obvious truth that we all share. What made FarCry so good was the gameplay AND the amazing graphics; it helped suck you into this amazing world where you felt like you were on the run and trapped on this dynamic tropical island where "strange stuff" was happening.

Outstanding gameplay and jaw-dropping graphics are not mutually exclusive; you can have both and FarCry did.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I just got it today. It's very good. Graphics are for the most part better than the PC original Farcry on Max / Ultrhigh settings.. The water is far far more impressive...

The first level is different to the xbox version, and is more like the pc version in the way you can choose your path.. Other levels are just the same as the xbox, but at 1080i this game does look sweet and the framerate is rock solid.....

I'd be more impressed with it if I hadnt played the original farcry on a good gaming rig, but it's still sweet...

After COD2 & GRAW its the best FPS on the 360. Better than PD0 singleplayer and 1000% better than Quake 4..

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Since I'll be getting the 360 games I'd love to hear more about it...

Have you finished it? I'd like to know how long it is.

How is multiplayer? One of my biggest reasons for getting this is 4 player split-screen MP which I hop it does. Options are limited for multiplayer FPS games currently... I've heard PD0 MP was okay, CoD2 has issues (but mostly I am tired of WWII), GRAW is slower and more tactical (which I still will get, but GR isn't standard MP FPS, and from what I've heard Quake 4 performs horridly... that leaves Far Cry and my experience with MP on the PC was great... so I'm hoping!

I'd also like to know the control setup... I've heard PD0 is a lot different then Halo, so is it the same setup as PD0, Halo, or Call of Duty 2?

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha yeah i know those limitations all too well .. i actually think that being a LPB in the beginning actually helps a lot on bringing up natural skills in a gamer ... i would lie if i said that it didn't help me ... i never had the time/will to enter leagues seriously since i simply would have missed a lot of other great games because of the focus on one game but it was enough for beta-Team fun matches and training with the alpha team (which got up to 2nd place in the european HL-DM ladder... but they invested a lot of time)

if somebody actually buys halo 2 for the PC ;)
    personally i have yet to meet a PC gamer who did like the first one ... actually those who bought it are those who are bad mouthing it the most.. and not only because it was a bad port and did run like a turtle... perhaps thats one of the reasons why the original Xbox never made it past the Gamecube in numbers around here (Germany/Austria/Switzerland): PC Gaming is simply too strong
    edit: (consoles sold in germany as comparisation from nov. 2005)
    3.3mio ps2
    2.6mio gba
    800k gc
    600k xbox
    350k nds
    150k psp
    (yes that's _all years combined_ since launch)

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The game is massive, because it is the xbox version + xbox sequel.... As I only got it about 1hour before my post, I'd say no I havent completed it yet ;) :D

Multiplayer not tried yet, will have a blast later if a few of my xbox clan are online.. but they're mostly taken up with oblivion at the moment :)

Perfect Dark is a love hate game. Seems to divide people. I really like multiplayer - but now i just wish there was some new maps :)

COD2 is a great single player game. They realeasd a multiplayer patch a week ago, it solves some of the problems but not all and your limited to 8 people and it can still lag, but no where near as bad as it did orginally.

GRAW is fantastic online... Multiplayer is one of the best on any console games period... Single player game is Rock Solid Hard...

Quake 4 wasn't as bad framerate as people were making out, but it's just not a good game. It's very very average. Even with a fantastic framerate, the gameplay and boring graphics (after seeing doom 3) level design and structure just scream 'dieing franchise' :( Multiplayer is the WORST PILE OF CRAP i have ever played online...

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I would love it if they made part of the game massively multiplayer sort of like BF2. Except for the constant action and vehicle fighting more of a game of stalking enemys through an enormous jungle enviroment. Fighting where you would be forced to use your mind set up ambushes for enemy squads and all of it happening in an enormous and beautiful jungle enviroment.

23. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Far cry instincts for xbox was a gem of a game, however, the new one for xbox 360 was reviewed on ign, and they stated the graphics arent 360 caliber, theyre just xbox models and a bit more detailed with better lighting etc, but they said a lot of things did improve including water and plants, b!ut the game still looks great, hopefully they port it over to mac, that would be awesome