For the love of Lego

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by balamw, Nov 27, 2012.

1. balamw, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012

balamw

Staff Member

Loving the LEGO minifig Steve! ;)

B

[MOD NOTE]
    I moved the Lego side discussion out of a Site and Forum Feedback thread and into a new thread

2. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is very nice.

3. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Thanks guys. I'm kind of a Lego maniac. I've been playing with/collecting them for 20+ years. I'm only missing something like 3 pieces out of the over 15,000 that I have from all the sets I've ever had. They're all cataloged and organized in ziplock bags with their directions and stuff. I was one of those freakishly neat children.

4. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Damn, boy! (Although my Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon is 5195 pieces alone. ;) )

5. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I REALLY want that set. That and the Death Star. I just can't bring myself to spend $400+ on a Lego set. I settled for the smaller scale Millennium Falcon that came out last year.

6. thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have one like you and one ... not so much at home. Tons of LEGO at the house, some even belongs to the kids. ;)

The only Falcon at the house is 7778

B

7. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I have that one and 7965

8. macrumors 6502a

My boys got me that one for Christmas a year or two ago so I could play Lego with them. I guess they got tired of me hiding my Galaxy Commander, 6984

9. macrumors 601

twietee

What a beauty! Wonder if my mysterious and beloved 6891 could still take off.

Off topic, I have serious problems with my avatar(s) though. :(

10. macrumors G5

Macman45

11. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yeay. I love lego!

Anyone got any of these? It's grown up lego :p

12. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I saw them but I prefer the Star Wars instead of these

13. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

14. macrumors 68020

heehee

I love lego!

I used to have alot of sets, but gave them all to my nephew since it just sits there.

15. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm a LEGO fan as well. :)

16. macrumors 65816

I was a major LEGO kid. I spent hours and days playing with them from the time I can remember until maybe 12-13 years old.

30 years later, I still have all of them in some bins in the attic. I'm hoping that my now-7-month-old will grow to love them as he gets older. Purely so I can play with them again, too. :p

Mine are all piled into bins, but I hope to have some time to organize them one day.

17. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I buy Lego sets, put them together, take them apart, then give the sets to my nephews. I get the fun of putting them together then they get the fun of having really sweet and expensive sets for free! They got a Lego Death Star out of it and almost all the LOTR ones recently.

18. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I love Legos. I have a great time working with my son, when he gets a set.

19. Huntn, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

macrumors G3

Huntn

I hate Legos as "play" toys. You will not change my mind. :p This was recently reinforced as my Grand kids play with them, break them, they fall apart, and constantly are losing parts. My wife insists on buying them. Yeach!

For building, they are great, but after this they need to be placed on a shelf and admired. My son who is now 30+ had about 20 sets that now reside in a big bucket. However one of his kits remain intact (I think :p) his Red X-Wing Fighter ($200 version) which is a piece of art, but definitely not made to play with, no frick'n way. I think this is it. 20"x18".

[​IMG]

20. macrumors 6502

Legos defined my childhood, and I still get some now as a 27 year old, although usually only 2-3 sets per year. The detail and engineering behind them though is insane, and what they can do now would have been unthinkable to me back when I was a little kid.

21. macrumors G3

rhett7660

22. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

23. macrumors 6502

24. mscriv, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

macrumors 601

mscriv

I can totally relate to your point of view. I have two boys age 9 and 5. They love legos and have a variety of them. The standard cycle is to build the set according to the instructions and then they begin to play with them during which they make modifications according to their impulsive little devious minds. At this point the possibility of ever reclaiming the original product is completely lost forever as the pieces ultimately end up in the play room in the void and formless abyss that is know as the "lego bucket". Watching this play out challenges me to the core as there is an internal struggle between the logical and organized side of me and the free spirited "let's just have fun" side of me. Ultimately, I end up on the free spirit side and don't intervene in their play, but the day one of them comes to me wanting to restore one of the sets to its original design will be a sad day. It will take all of my patience and love to not launch into a tirade about the importance of being organized and keeping things neatly in their place. Oh, the woes of parenting... :D

25. Huntn, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

macrumors G3

Huntn

This is especially true if the children you hare handing these kits over to are to young to build them, as in our case. The kits were small, we built them a couple of days ago for the kids, and today were handed back a pile of bricks wanting us to build them again. I'm like, "ask your Nanna." :p

----------

Keep them in the box for ten years then sell for a profit after they are discontinued. ;) We sold a bunch of Harry Potter buildings/castles at a profit and they were not even in the box, but my wife had to rebuild most of them to verify contents. :)
    The Mall of America Lego store used to have some large builds 9' tall, but using larger blocks. That's the other thing, they are just plastic, too damned expensive. ;)