For the ones freaking out about Storage choices.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by masp84, Dec 1, 2012.

1. masp84, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

macrumors member

I was searching the web for 2 TB docks (one SSD and another SATAIII) and set them in daisy chain. I stumbled upon this product:

Drobo DRDR5A21

Specs:
    • 2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only)
    • 1 x USB 3.0 port
    • Up to five (5) 3.5" SATA I / II / III hard disk drives or solid state drives (sold separately) and one (1) mSATA solid state drive in the Drobo Accelerator Bay for increased performance
    • Drives of any manufacturer, capacity, spindle speed, and/or cache
    • No carriers or tools required
    • Expandable by adding drives or hot-swapping drives with larger ones

Sounds interesting, what do you think? it has a new "BeyondRaid tech" with its own algorithm.
    http://www.demosondemand.com/DemoStage3/index.asp?sessID=DBOB004&promotion_id=2494&startTime=0

2. macrumors member

StephenAndrew

I watched about 45 seconds of that video before I wanted to punch that guy in the face...

That said, I've heard mixed reviews about Drobos. One of the biggest complaints I've heard is that Drobo uses a proprietary read/write system, so in the event of a failure of the Drobo (not just one of the drives, but the unit itself), your data is basically held hostage until you find a Drobo-based solution. You can't just pop the drives into another enclosure and copy the data over, so you're forced to use another Drobo in order to retrieve your stuff. I have no personal experience with them, but I've considered giving it a shot as a working drive...but definitely not as a backup solution.

----------

Not to mention it's bloody expensive, especially when you add a handful of decent drives to stick in it!

3. thread starter macrumors member

Well they offer 3 year warranty and it's practically a fusion drive in a box but way more ahead of it, not to mention storage options from Apple are bloody expensive. I'm really looking forward for the write/read test and to see if I can set this as my main HD on a new iMac

4. macrumors regular

• I have one of these, this is actually the Drobo 5D. It's working well, and fast too - ex/ 230MB/sec sustained write to my iMac internal SSD. I have 5x4TB drives plus a 128GB mSata SSD drive for cache in the unit.

5. thread starter macrumors member

That's great numbers! we'll use 2 SSD 256GB and fill the rest with Seagate Barracudas @ 7200 rpm, It'll be like a Mega fusion drive. I hate the name of the thing though