For those excited by Ive's iOS 7...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SJism23, Mar 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Article: http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-ios-7-wont-be-a-major-overhaul-2013-3

It seems that a lot of people on here expect iOS 7 to be fresh and new due to Forstall's ouster and Ive's inclusion as part of the iOS team, but as the article linked above states, not much can be done in 6 months of product development. So don't be disappointed for WWDC this year.

Considering this, what do you expect from iOS 7? Will it be another iOS 6? Or something more?

2. Guest

Not expecting much.

Also tons of other Apple experts like John Gruber have said that based on experience, there's no way for Apple to completely change iOS within 6 months. Maybe iOS 8 but people expecting change, change, change will be disappointed, disappointed, disappointed.

3. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Well it will make sense for Apple to do something big with iOS 7. They need to realize that Android is right now catching up to them, and with Android 5.0 coming this year it could deliver the fatal blow to iOS. If Apple doesnt do anything, Android will win and a lot of people will end up leaving their iPhones for something newer and, dare I say, better.

4. macrumors member

dwaynewilliams

I like the way iOS looks and operates. I don't have any complaints. They criticize the graphics in iOS as being over the top, but I think they set iOS apart from everyone else.

5. macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Not expecting much, but I'm sure that Apple will be able to list off 100 new features again! :p

I'm still perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 on iOS 6.0, I don't do quantum physics equations or complex video editing on my phone!

6. macrumors 68040

IOS6 Would likely have been in development before Ive took over. I agree that the best you can do now is to simply make refinements to those new features.

At the same time, start to redesign IOS8 from the ground up, to release alongside the new generation iphone. Makes way more sense from a marketing viewpoint - new specs, form factor an software.

7. macrumors 68020

pknz

BusinessInsider. What do you expect?

8. macrumors regular

Ive obviously doesn't have much time to make any major changes, however, I think right off the bat he will make quite a few aesthetic changes and overall design changes. User experience and new features will come into affect in the next iteration. I see him updating much of the out-of-date design aesthetics and fixing a few inconsistencies within iOS.

9. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

10. Guest

Hopefully we'll see iOS 7 on June 10th. (Very possible WWDC date).

11. macrumors G5

Rogifan

How would Business Insider know? And John Gruber and Guy English don't claim to have any inside knowledge on what Apple is/isn't doing.

12. macrumors newbie

I know it is hard to bring a earthshaking changes later, but i am glad to hear Apple would name it as IOS 6.3 or IOS6.5 than IOS 7. as we known, IOS actually bring few updatings.

13. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Where did you hear that?

14. macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

i've said it before in other threads. i highly doubt we'll see ios7 this year. not enough time...
    if apple plans to release ios 7, i'd assume they'd want to make major changes to the OS, so as to give some justice to the "7".
    my prediction - an ios 6.X version... maybe 6.2.
    ios 7 = 2014

15. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

the fact that iOS 6 exists should tell you that Apple doesn't need to blow your minds with new features to justify a version number change.

iOS 7 will come this year, and it will be previewed at WWDC, then launched in the Autumn alongside the iPhone 5S and a "surprise" feature only available on the new phone.

The UI will feature a few small changes, but will be 98% the same. There will also be lots of changes and additions, with about 5 of them being flagship features. A few people will get angry that Apple again didn't add widgets. Perhaps they will move to Android this time if iOS 8 too lacks widgets. Perhaps.

16. macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

i dont see this happening (for the ios7 part). only time will tell. i may be wrong.

i DEFINATELY dont see this happening!! Lots of changes and additions??? really?? care to elaboreate on these "lots" pls? im curios to know.

17. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

18. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

iOS 6 has "over 200 new features", as did iOS 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blah blah.

Only a handful will be large features.

19. macrumors 6502a

This. I really really doubt Apple will break their naming convention trend because Jony Ive is in control.

Jony Ive's influence will slowly show, but it won't be drastic as going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

20. macrumors 68020

The-Real-Deal82

The third example is certainly not something I want to see coming to iOS. I wouldn't mind features like that if added to the pull down bar but I don't want my home screen full of widgets thank you. I want something different to Android personally. :)

21. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Why are people so obsessed with widgets? And if Apple adds them to iOS everyone will say they're so out of ideas they're reduced to ripping off Android.

22. macrumors 6502

As I've said before and as have many others I don't care about a fancy UI. I want something that delivers applications to me. A lot of IOS 6 etc. is not easily seen but there were tons and tons of changes.
    Don't spend your time on fancy screens but on functions.
    People will stay with Apple because they like what it does and like how the whole Apple world works together.

Even if it contained everything everyone on this board wanted there would be screams of disappointment when it comes out.

23. macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Id say they are pretty much out of ideas. One of their new big ideas last year was their own in house mapping with turn by turn. That's not even new technology. The only thing new was the 3D flyover which is a gimmick if anything. Apple was just wanting to do it themselves and it flopped big time.

I would love widgets, which is why i'll be dropping my iPhone and moving to the S4 in June. I love being able to open my nexus 7 and i can see the latest sports score, the weather, my past few emails, upcoming calendar appointments. and i can get all that by not even opening an application.

That's probably why they are obsessed with widgets.

Its getting your information even faster, and that's what people want. Their info right now.

24. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

No the reason apple made their own maps is because their contract with google was ending and google didn't want to give them features like turn by turn unless it had google branding so apple refused and made their own.

25. macrumors 65816

JoEw

I think people don't realize forestall could have made some big changes in IOS7 even before Ive. I'm pretty sure Apple would be able to tell that they are getting stale. Personally, i have no clue what they could add to IOS besides little features here and there.

And no, not widgets -_-