For those having problems playing videos on your Intel Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nsknike, Jun 6, 2006.

1. nsknike macrumors regular

Yesterday I posted a thread stating that I have had a problem playing video files, mainly wmv on my Macbook 2.0Ghz with 2GB ram.

The problem was that I would keep dropping frames and watching videos was becoming a huge hassle. Well Heb1228 tried helping me through this problem I was having.

He told me to try installing Windows Media Player, that didn't work correctly. Flip4Mac beta, which still didn't work, and then the Flip4Mac running in rosetta trick. And still my problems where not fixed. And then I started to give up hope of being able to play my video files without dropping a lot of frames.

Then I ran across the program Divx for Mac, which is a PPC app, but I can use it under Rosetta.

This program has been able to run every video I have thrown at it, without dropping any frames or any of the other problems I was having before.

So if you are having problems playing .wmv, .avi, .mpg, or .mov files on your Intel Mac try using this program, it has worked great for me.

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

2. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

Can you tell me how you got the Divx player open once you installed? I've always used divx in windows, but when I installed the free player on my mac, I wasn't able to get the actuall 'player' open... just the free trial of divx converter.

Any suggestions?

3. nsknike thread starter macrumors regular

Just go to Divx Player in Applications folder and double click it.

4. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

I know how to open an app, that wasn't the problem. Apparently I had only installed the converter... it was my first few days on a Mac so I still wasn't sure what I was doing :D All set now.

5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Thanx nsknike. I was using flip4mac with QT in rosetta. It`s really slow and skips a lot of frames. But divx seems to play everything perfectly.

6. soitgoes macrumors newbie

actually...DivX for Mac 6.5 does work on Intels (no need to use rosetta)

http://support.divx.com/cgi-bin/divx.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1854
    :)

7. kesava108 macrumors newbie

.mov files won't play on Mac

Thanks for the sw tip; however, I find it really odd that Mac won't play these files w/o having to purchase an additional sw program.

Anyone else have any tips for playing .mov files on a mac book pro - leopard?

:confused:

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Might be better to create your own thread than resurrecting two ancient threads to post the same issue ;)

Use VLC Player, but not sure why the .mov's won't play because you aren't being very specific - what are you trying to play, where did it come from, if you encoded it, what with etc etc.