For those looking for Seagate HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slackersonly, Aug 4, 2006.

1. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I have seen alot of posts lately on HDs. Seagate seems to be the favorite.
    I found this deal on Outpost.com while looks for some software and thought it may help some of those recent posters.

Seagate 300GB, 16MB, SATA, Retail Box, $84.99 NO rebates

Linky

**Please note the although Outpost and Fry's seem to be the same, they do NOT honor online prices in the store!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Good find! Thanks for the link. Now to find an affordable enclosure with FW800...

3. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

FW800 Enclosures

OWCs enclosures are not the cheapest that I have see but reviews (here and elsewhere) are solid, chipset is fast, etc.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, I think this one looks pretty good, and puts me in a 300 GB FW800 drive for $185, which is not bad at all.

5. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

2 things to check out:

1. that enclosure is for IDE i think. i am not spec whiz but i believe you need to match ide hd/enclousre or sata hd/enclosure.

2. there are some posts here that claim that fw800 is not any faster than fw400. if that is true, and the fw400 is a bit cheaper, you could save some $$.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think it's actually ok for both of them in this case, which may increase the price compared to some others:
    [​IMG]

I think they were talking about people who only have FW400 connections on their computer; I have transferred video files using both types on my PB, and I notice a difference.

Thanks again for the find.