For those of you have know German and have seen the movie Downfall.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macgeek2005, Aug 23, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2006
    Okay I have a weird question for those of you that have seen the movie Downfall and know German.

At the very beginning of the movie, Hitler comes into that room with the 6 ladies, and the subtitle says "I'd like to thank you for coming in the middle of the night".

Knowing a bit of German myself, I could catch "Kommen, Danken, Mitte, Nacht, etc"

He seems to cover all the words throughout the sentence, however he openes the sentence with something which I just cannot place.

It sounds like "Shmesh da mesh". It doesn't seem to correspond to anything he might be saying in that situtation, and he says all the other words in the rest of the sentence, so what can "Shmesh da mesh" mean?

Anyone? I also have a 8 second long clip of that part of the movie for anyone who knows german but hasn't seen the movie.
  2. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    He says:

"Ich möchte mich bei Ihnen bedanken, meine Damen, dass sie gekommen sind, so mitten in der Nacht."

"I would like to thank you, ladies, for coming in the middle of the night."
  3. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2006
    wow... I had a feeling that it started with Ich, but I didn't see how that could sound like Shmesh, when put together with the word next to it.