For those of you still undecided about upgrading to Tiger (Roar!)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yaja123, May 2, 2005.

1. Yaja123 macrumors regular

2. ksz macrumors 68000

Yes I love it too, but I've got to temper my unbridled passion and face some realities. I have every trust in Apple's ability to remedy the early growing pains.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's still clearly in need of some fixes, and I wouldn't recommend that people who require the use of their Macs and apps for business reasons upgrade just yet (quick example: Snapz Pro isn't fully functional in Tiger, CheckPoint VPN - which my business unfortunately uses - doesn't work, Photoshop Elements 3.0 - which I doubt any professionals use - doesn't work, etc.).

However, for casual users or those with dual-booting capabilities (ie.e, who can still boot into Panther), it's a blast to play with. Spotlight and other features are fantastic, absolutely great.

But pro users should wait or be sure they can boot into Panther.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Only apps I need are those in the Adobe CS. And all those worked without a reinstall (unlike Jag > Panth, though that was the last batch of Apps and not CS). All in all I'm happy with Tiger. Pros should install it on their Home Machine and when work slows during the summer then I suggest installing it.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Snapz Pro works for me.. but I agree with you Tiger isn't quite ready for business deployment yet (of course, I don't think it's worth it at all, but that's another story).

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I agree that Tiger is great but since I'm just a casual user I wasn't expecting many issues with the programs I use. I do have one question for other people using Tiger though, does anyone else seem to have any trouble with Quicktime? When I open it sometimes it is very slow to respond and I have to force quit out of it because it locks up. I've also had the same problem with safari once or twice.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

to the people having problems with tiger:

how do you use your mac?
    do you shut it down every day?
    Is the desktop loaded with icons and files?
    Do you use a 3rd party desktop theme?
    Have you ever repaired permissions?
    Have you ever optimised your Hard Drive?

Am I just a lucky one? Because I have absolutley zero
    problems with Tiger. NOTHING! I cant understand all the hubbub.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As an IT professional specializing in Macs, I think I use my Macs pretty hard.

9. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

i am happy but i am also waiting for my ascent towards heaven to be delayed at some point... but as i havent come across anything as yet. i upgraded within 50 mins...and everything works. i love dashboard and spotlight - finding stuff is soo easy, no more ploughing through folders etc. If i look really really hard ive prob overlooked some very very minor things... but i cant remember them.

i am home user. but i do use my mac pretty much all the time. when im not using it its usually left on.....

posters r prob right about not ready for business deployment... i use basic programs and a few extras, nothing heavy duty.

im just making the most of having a super nice clean stable computer.... praise the lord! (im not religious btw)

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Did you reinstall (something I'll try tonight)? It works fine for me except when recording movies, in which case it's pretty flaky - bad color depth, shows cursor when told not to, etc.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I did, I had version 2.0.0 and updarted to 2.0.1, but I have not tried to record a movie yet, so I might have the same troubles as you. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

13. jakemikey macrumors regular

Those first four are irrelevant; they're not things that should break an OS. I think the last two go without saying for anyone who has a clue about using a Mac.

I have a few questions for those who have "no problems" with Tiger:

1. Have you actually used Spotlight extensively? It doesn't find everything it should. Sometimes even text files right on the desktop. It's a 50/50 shot when you create a file whether Spotlight can find it. I have a sneaking suspicion that most people who talk about how cool Spotlight is and how it works marvelously have maybe done a few simple searches without actually knowing *everything* Spotlight "should" bring up. I've worked with it a lot and have found it to be not quite as instantaneous as the demos would have you believe (and this is on my dual G5), and it only brings up a fraction of the hits that it should (and yes...that's with the "show all" window. Apple's own discussion boards have people documenting this all over the place, with no official fix.

2. Do you use Mail 2? It's garbage. I used (and loved) Mail under Panther, and before I upgraded to Tiger I was sure to remove all third-party plugins, suspecting that they'd cause problems. Mail 2 looks like crap, doesn't send or receive, mailboxes and messages disappear at random, and it requires a force-quit every time I open it. This problem (and similar ones) are also well-documented on Apple's support discussions.

So, in my experience, only get Tiger (right now) if it's with a "virgin" Mac, or if (as previously mentioned) you have a dual-boot configuration with 10.3.9 on the other volume. Or if you don't send email and only need to find half of your files half of the time.

I have to give Apple props on 10.3.9, though...runs like a clock. Tiger is faster, but more frustrating.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I agree.. it also bugs me how I am now forced to have my mailbox on the left.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yes and it's brought up everything I thought it should (and then some). I won't say it's perfect but it works very well on my machine and is very fast even though I have a 1.5ghz G4.

I use it all the time. Have since I got .Mac which was right when .Mac came out. I have not had any of the problems you are describing.

I'm not saying what you are experiencing isn't happening. I've noticed a few quirks in Tiger here and there myself. But I don't know that it's a "every install" problem either...