Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is something that keeps me on Android as my main device. I wish Apple would focus on homescreen widgets.
I wonder what the ratio of android users that do use them and those that don't ? Heck even iOS ones? Actually may start a poll just for my own curiosity :)

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
This is something that keeps me on Android as my main device. I wish Apple would focus on homescreen widgets.

I wonder what the ratio of android users that do use them and those that don't ? Heck even iOS ones? Actually may start a poll just for my own curiosity :)

Yeah the iOS home screen does look old now. I'm loving android atm. I use the weather clock widget always have when on android. Although nothing has beat my long gone HTC desire HD clock weather widget. Not sure if it still exists.

iOS i only use weather pro on the pull down menu.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
as long as Iphone fail to have real widgets I can't see myself ever going back.

certainly not if samsung are sticking with the glass and metal design. The design was the one and only thing I have missed with apple.

If iphone plus ever added multtasking then i would consider it but they won't anytime soon. there are too many great features on my note that isn't on the iphone to switch. Great device but lacking in key areas for me

I'm currently a switcher. I have a iPod Touch 4th Gen, a iPhone 4S, and i'll be getting a LG-G4 to keep things Interesting.

Its too early to tell what will happen. I may leave Apple once and for all if, they continue making underpowered and stock os phones. i hate how iOS has no skins, widgets, and, 99% of the time, they copy from others. Also, they make it impossible to downgrade and, patch every single jailbreak they possibly can in a agile manor to lock us into there design sceme.
Guess I'm out of luck because, I hate the Material Design:(!

i may keep a iPad for old times sake but, might sell it if, there was a way to transfer data from iOS to Android (eg, keep your games and its data while migrating!)

My future will be interesting if I like my Android Phone!

Reactions: iSheep5S

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I tend to switch. I had a iPhone 5 and switched to a note 2, then to a S4. And now with a iPhone 6. One thing I have learned is I will never ever get a Samsung phone again because of Touchwiz. I have been watching the Moto X on the sidelines because I like the touches voice control, but I hear they get slow Android updates so I am torn between Nexus and Moto X.

On the other hand I love the fluidity of iOS, aesthetic design and feel, quality apps, and if most of the people you know are on iOS its huge plus because of iMessage. Also I like the general build quality of iPhones.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
More of a rubber necker. I'll update my iPad to see the state of iOS, if it's caught up to competition in features and is less bloated/laggy/buggy but usually return to Android. Maybe one day Apple will hit that milestone and perhaps with iOS 9.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I tend to switch. I had a iPhone 5 and switched to a note 2, then to a S4. And now with a iPhone 6. One thing I have learned is I will never ever get a Samsung phone again because of Touchwiz. I have been watching the Moto X on the sidelines because I like the touches voice control, but I hear they get slow Android updates so I am torn between Nexus and Moto X.

On the other hand I love the fluidity of iOS, aesthetic design and feel, quality apps, and if most of the people you know are on iOS its huge plus because of iMessage. Also I like the general build quality of iPhones.

I dunno. I have had a mess around with an S6. Decent build and less bloat. Happy with the S5 for now. No significant lag even compared to iOS 8. Heck I did an S5 vs 6+ browser speed test on some bloaty sites. The S5 won.

I'm not going to say android is better cause its less fluid and more buggy but.. It's more interesting. I cant put my S5 down for long. :)

I also agree stock android as it should be wins, (my nexus 7) but Samsung makes a great package and adds some great features to a plain Android OS.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I have been watching the Moto X on the sidelines because I like the touches voice control, but I hear they get slow Android updates so I am torn between Nexus and Moto X.
You have to be careful about updates on android phones that ship with manufacturer Ui overlays. I remember being on the Motorola Cliq and Motorola stated that we would get the next version of android. And they kept promising. Then Motorola made a public statement that we wouldn't be getting any further updates because their blur UI was too difficult to integrate into the next version of android. So, we were stuck with no further updates because of a problem with the manufacturer skin.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wonder if anybody returns to iOS after using a decent Android device.

Yep they do.

I've seen myriad of flagship android devices for sale on our version of swappa/craigslist where people post 'want to go back to iPhone' or 'Android not for me' ... Those folks then looking to trade or sell so they can go back to iOS.

I am just as sure there are folks who are normally on Android but tried iOS when the iPhone 6 / 6+ came out - and decided to jump back.

I don't think flagship status as anything to do with personal preferences.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I dunno. I have had a mess around with an S6. Decent build and less bloat. Happy with the S5 for now. No significant lag even compared to iOS 8. Heck I did an S5 vs 6+ browser speed test on some bloaty sites. The S5 won.

I'm not going to say android is better cause its less fluid and more buggy but.. It's more interesting. I cant put my S5 down for long. :)

I also agree stock android as it should be wins, (my nexus 7) but Samsung makes a great package and adds some great features to a plain Android OS.

Yep same. My grandfather has a S5 and, I have the honor of showing him how it works. :rolleyes:Last time I was over at his house, I noticed he was running Lollipop! I could not tell the difference between KitKat and Lollipop and, was shocked that Lollipop still was agile and stable(unlike iOS 8).

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Why wait for Apple to get the bugs out of iOS 9 split view or picture-in-picture when both combined have been working stable on Samsung since 2012? With the horsepower of Exynos 7420 series and the screen size of upcoming Note 5 they can even allow a couple more tasks without hiccup.

S6 tearing up browser and Google Maps split view plus PiP (not sure if iOS 9 can do both at the same time):
Screenshot_2015-06-15-02-21-47a_zpsqnrlkapd.png

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland

I have after some flagship devices. Everytime ii swap either way i say it will be the last. Like this time i'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy S7.

Yep same. My grandfather has a S5 and, I have the honor of showing him how it works. :rolleyes:Last time I was over at his house, I noticed he was running Lollipop! I could not tell the difference between KitKat and Lollipop and, was shocked that Lollipop still was agile and stable(unlike iOS 8).

Yeah i complained about the slow updates but i guess TouchWiz adds features stock android doesn't. It has looked similar (like iOS) for years.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I did. I still love android but the iPhone is overall more reliable in my experience. I keep my Note 3 around though, still better for some things. If TW gets a bit more polished in the future i may return to the Note series as daily driver, or vanilla for that matter.

rvinny

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
I'll probably never settle on one but leaning heavily on iOS for now. I have started moving away from iOS only apps just to make the transitions easier. Evernote vs Notes, Kindle vs iBooks, Dropbox vs iCloud, etc.

I also buy "mint" used phones off Swappa to keep the costs of my habit down :)

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I'll probably never settle on one but leaning heavily on iOS for now. I have started moving away from iOS only apps just to make the transitions easier. Evernote vs Notes, Kindle vs iBooks, Dropbox vs iCloud, etc.

I also buy "mint" used phones off Swappa to keep the costs of my habit down :)

Tell you something not to divert too much.

If Android had a decent Twitter app that could load a full day, like 16hrs worth. I wouldn't go back to iOS.

I use TweetBot on iOS and it is THE best Twitter app by far.

I have tried, The official app on Android, Tweetcaster, Plume, Hootsuite, Falcon, Janetter and others. Tweetcaster and Plume use to load a full day but this return they don't. The official app is a joke, lucky if it loads 5hrs.

I wonder if TapBots, the makers of Tweetbot are paid by Apple not to make an Android app.

Any help on this would be great.

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
Tell you something not to divert too much.

If Android had a decent Twitter app that could load a full day, like 16hrs worth. I wouldn't go back to iOS.

I use TweetBot on iOS and it is THE best Twitter app by far.

I have tried, The official app on Android, Tweetcaster, Plume, Hootsuite, Falcon, Janetter and others. Tweetcaster and Plume use to load a full day but this return they don't. The official app is a joke, lucky if it loads 5hrs.

I wonder if TapBots, the makers of Tweetbot are paid by Apple not to make an Android app.

Any help on this would be great.

Try Fenix - recommended by plenty of people.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012

I can agree with this. I bit the bullet and got a note 5. Yes I am eating my words.

One thing I'll say is even on this huge thing I'm not that impressed by the battery coming from my iPhone 6. I had to take all this Verizon and some Samsung bloat ware so maybe I'll see some improvement.

You are right in that android is more interesting which is why I picked this thing up. Iphones just tend to be more smooth and they don't let carriers put their slimy hands on their devices.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I can agree with this. I bit the bullet and got a note 5. Yes I am eating my words.

One thing I'll say is even on this huge thing I'm not that impressed by the battery coming from my iPhone 6. I had to take all this Verizon and some Samsung bloat ware so maybe I'll see some improvement.

You are right in that android is more interesting which is why I picked this thing up. Iphones just tend to be more smooth and they don't let carriers put their slimy hands on their devices.

Congratz on the Note 5! Very nice looking device.

EnVyCaLiBeR

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Yep they do.

I've seen myriad of flagship android devices for sale on our version of swappa/craigslist where people post 'want to go back to iPhone' or 'Android not for me' ... Those folks then looking to trade or sell so they can go back to iOS.

I am just as sure there are folks who are normally on Android but tried iOS when the iPhone 6 / 6+ came out - and decided to jump back.

I don't think flagship status as anything to do with personal preferences.
That's me. Had a Galaxy S2, Note 3, and a Nexus 5 and I wanted to change it up last year and picked up the iPhone 6. Liked the phone, but everything felt limited in comparison to the things you can do with Android phones. So, I switched back and got a Note 5. It'll take Apple to do quite a bit that would make me go back.

I stick with iOS as far as tablets go because Android tablets are typically subpar compared to the iPad and the app experience is better on the iPad compared to other tablets.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Despite being expensive, I've found the cheapest option is for me to have both Apple and Android. Currently have a Samsung S6 and iPhone 6+. Kind of like to have one "smallish" phone and one big phone.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Why wait for Apple to get the bugs out of iOS 9 split view or picture-in-picture when both combined have been working stable on Samsung since 2012? With the horsepower of Exynos 7420 series and the screen size of upcoming Note 5 they can even allow a couple more tasks without hiccup.

S6 tearing up browser and Google Maps split view plus PiP (not sure if iOS 9 can do both at the same time):
Screenshot_2015-06-15-02-21-47a_zpsqnrlkapd.png

Last week, found myself using split window to listen to a youtube song and checking lyrics on Chrome.

I've said (and demonstrated) this a number of times before: I don't use split window very often, but when I do, it's super handy.

GsUmHcyl.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.