For those who are about to buy iPod voice recorder..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by toughboy, Feb 19, 2004.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I bought my voice recorder about a week before, and its just a disappointment for me.. you cant talk/play/etc so close, you cant record something so loud, it makes cracking sounds and there is only one recording preset, which is 128 kbps/16bit/1 channel (mono) 8kHz and it records as PCM (dunno what?!) which means the people who plan to record concerts or their own live instrument playings should not buy it..

I've got a question now, why apple does not make their own accessories for their products.. especcially voice rec, itrip kind of things.. I thought that Belkin was a good company making qualified products but after I saw the voice rec and the fm transmitter, there is no way I am gonna buy Belkin again.. :(

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    belkin is a sinking ship. its too bad you bought them. but i dunno i dont really want to use my ipod for recording my voice hehehe its not as fun to listen to

3. m4rc macrumors 6502

Can you provide evidence that 'Belkin is a sinking ship'? I was under the impression that they are a hugely successful company. Or are you just trying to up your post count? ;)

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Please don't buy Belkin stuff. Belkin is a sinking ship and they are unloading their remaining stock as fast as possible.

If you didn't hear, quite recently they cut the price of their routers down to like $20 (these are wifi ones)... and the only hidden suprise is that every 10 webpages it routes it reroutes it to a nice page of adverts for you.

They don't actually manufacture stuff themselves - most of their stuff is just rebranded netgear, linksys and d-link gear.

If you can, get Netgear, linksys or D-Link. If at all possible, you might want to save yourself some $$$ by getting the 'extra value 'stuff from OEM manufacturers who usually buy overstock etc from the big 3.

taken from this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48744&highlight=belkin+sinking

dont try to get a rise out of people

5. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

So do you have any proof? Quoting yourself isn't going to get you anywhere. Making accusations or claims like this without having any way to back it up is pretty crummy.

(edit: More on topic...I think the Voice Recorder was meant to be a lecture/speaker type recorder, or a personal dictation device. Not something that you should expect high quality out of. )

6. m4rc macrumors 6502

Wasn't trying to 'get a rise' out of anyone, just find it boring when people have to post a 'me too' on nearly every thread. I always thought that was against the rules.

I have spent some time looking around the web, Belkin seem very healthy currently. Can you show us the actual proof so people on here can avoid buying products that won't have a warranty in 3 months time? Thats not trying to 'get a rise' its a genuine question.

7. ratspg macrumors regular

i wonder if they will make an even lower quality one for the iPod mini, lol.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

9. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

The iTalk does look pretty sweet. I would consider one if I could come up with a practical use for it. I wonder what the speaker quality on it will be...very cool that it can be used as a mic and speaker.

10. cmx08 macrumors regular

what's up with the count thing?

do ppl get money or benefits from posting lots of msgs ?

I read this kind of things all the time.
    if this makes money, what's the rate?:confused:

11. laserbeahm macrumors member

I haven't tried the voice recorder, but I did buy the FM transmitter. I was pretty disapointed with it. If you are in a big city, it's useless. The tape adaptors work much better, but more and more cars don't come with tape players anymore.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

wasnt quoting myself. go click on the link to see who said it orginally god.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree. ;) :p

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Re: what's up with the count thing?

Having a big post count on almost any message board is like the ability to say "mine's bigger." If you have more posts than someone else, you might be lead into the delusion that what you say 'counts' for more.

Anyway, I too am waiting for the iTalk. Too bad it won't be out until this school year is almost over, it'd be GREAT for lectures. I'd get the Belkin Voice Recorder, but it sounds really lame. Or is it a flawed system and all products by nature of their interface will be low quality? Can the iTalk even be better, or is it something about the iPod that is limiting the quality?

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, looks good. My guess is teh problem with the belkin one is that a small mic located in one place far away from a speaker is unlikely to have top audio quality. It's like holding up a walkman to record a concert--ain't gonna cut it.

The iTalk, though, allows you to hook up a nother mic into it, which would allow for use of a high-quality mic near the speaker. That should be a sizable improvement.

16. applebum macrumors 6502

I think the point is that you quoted someone that used absolutely no proof. Just because someone else said it does not make it true. Until there is some actual proof, you are simply spreading gossip. Do you have some proof or links to proof that we could read that discusses Belkin going under? I have bought their products, and I like the ones I have.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I dunno about Belkin going under, but I wish they would. They're stuff is terrible. I had a Belkin USB hub (bought it cause it was cheap) and it dropped out of service within just a few months, but of course wasn't worth fixing, since you have to pay shipping to get it fixed/replaced, even if you can get them to fix it. All the other reports I've seen are about the same. Maybe you can get lucky, but I'd say go with Griffin on this one. I'm already saving (not that it's that expensive).

JW

18. m4rc macrumors 6502

Belkin seem very healthy. They are also recruiting for some big positions currently. I think the person who originally made this statement had no idea what they were talking about - maybe they were annoyed with Belkin over a piece of hardware. I'm surprised no-one on here picked up on the original statement and questioned it. It's not fair that a legitimate company can be wrongly bad-mouthed on a forum like this, with so many readers it could actually harm them.

This dosn't alter the fact that some of their products appear to be rubbish though, lot's of people do have trouble with them. :D

19. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

What about the Media Reader? Any comments on that?

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, I'm wondering about the media reader as well. This is a great idea, and exactly what I am looking for for my iPod and digital camera, but I haven't heard many good things about the Belkin media reader, and question if it weould be worth the purchase...