Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piccio

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
After these 2 months and a half, do you notice scratches on the back?

Is the anodized aluminium going well or have you noticed scratches like with the iPhone 5?

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I've had the black mini since Christmas and only had a Smart Cover on it for the first two weeks and not a scratch and while I don't abuse it I would not say I was overly careful with it. I did get a switch easy back buddy about a week ago and love it.

I also have an iPhone 5 in black since its release and not a scratch.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I've had my iPad mini in black/Slate since mid November and only use the red smart cover on it. I am careful with it but it does get banged around in my messenger bag or backpack and no scratches or marks on it yet.

I've also had the black iPhone 5 since launch day and no scratches or dings at all.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Just get applecare. Its better than worrying about scratches. I still think it's a better buy that glas-t and a rear shield. And you will still have a higher resale value.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I picked a (beautiful!) black/slate mini up on launch day along with a Smart Cover, but I was concerned about the back (not from any reports of scratches I'd read, just common sense because it's exposed and not protected if you throw it in a bag) so I bought a soft padded case I can slide my mini with Smart Cover into when I take it anywhere.

I use the device daily and there are no scratches on it, or marks or problems at all - it looks brand new still, but I'm not the type of person that mistreats or ignores how he handles/cares for his devices. I'm not the type that demands I or others use gloves when handling my devices either - somewhere in between I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.