Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Is one of the early signs that the graphics card is failing the color getting wonky all of a sudden?

A couple times the last few days mine has all of a sudden turned really blue. It happens really quickly, like flipping a switch. It still works ok, the colors are just really screwy and look really blue.

Thanks

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
There are loads and loads of different ways the GPU problem can manifest itself. We have two MBPs from 2011 in our household and one has succumbed to Radeongate. The first sign for that one was all the white on the screen turning pink.

If it's a 2011 machine and you're getting wonky colours or other artefacts on the screen, take it to Apple if you can and get the logic board swapped. Chances are pretty high it's related to the GPU.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Is one of the early signs that the graphics card is failing the color getting wonky all of a sudden?
A couple times the last few days mine has all of a sudden turned really blue. It happens really quickly, like flipping a switch. It still works ok, the colors are just really screwy and look really blue.
Thanks
There is an extended repair program:
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Apple will not do anything until they test it and verify that it is a GPU problem. The best method is to make a Genius appointment at the nearest Apple store. Take it to the store on the appointment time where they will test it while you wait for immediate feedback. If it fails they will keep it for about a week while they get the logic board replaced with a refurbished one.

I recommend doing an immediate fresh back up. The MBP GPU/logic board may fail to the point you can't boot. You might also want a back up if you have to leave it with Apple.

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015
There is an extended repair program:
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Apple will not do anything until they test it and verify that it is a GPU problem. The best method is to make a Genius appointment at the nearest Apple store. Take it to the store on the appointment time where they will test it while you wait for immediate feedback. If it fails they will keep it for about a week while they get the logic board replaced with a refurbished one.

I recommend doing an immediate fresh back up. The MBP GPU/logic board may fail to the point you can't boot. You might also want a back up if you have to leave it with Apple.

Is it possible to test ourselves whether we are affected by the Graphic issue as well?
I have a MBP and the "graphic" issue only happened once three years ago..
And it never appeared anymore even when I'm doing graphic intensive tasks.. Is there a way to diagnose it?
My nearest apple store is very far and I wanna check if my MBP have this issue

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Is it possible to test ourselves whether we are affected by the Graphic issue as well?
I have a MBP and the "graphic" issue only happened once three years ago..
And it never appeared anymore even when I'm doing graphic intensive tasks.. Is there a way to diagnose it?
My nearest apple store is very far and I wanna check if my MBP have this issue
Yes and No.
Yes, there are some commercial software packages and Apple Hardware Test that MIGHT catch an video issue, but;
Ultimately No. Apple has their proprietary software (not available to the public) that is the final say for Apple. They will not do anything unless it fails their tests.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Yes and No.
Yes, there are some commercial software packages and Apple Hardware Test that MIGHT catch an video issue, but;
Ultimately No. Apple has their proprietary software (not available to the public) that is the final say for Apple. They will not do anything unless it fails their tests.

This is good to know, as I have installed a second hard drive in place of the DVD drive that I'll have to pull out before they do the repair. At least this way I can check and make sure that's what the issue is before switching the drives out.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes and No.
Probably generally true, but the one I had repaired passed Apple's extended hardware test. It was fairly clear that there was a GPU problem though when it booted, so the logic board was replaced anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.