Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Yes, thats right.

Here is the link.

*link removed*

Works flawlessly. As soon as payment received, code is sent via email. Then they can be easily redeemed in iTunes.

EDIT: Added pic of my current balance.

EDIT 2: Also found the same seller here - *link removed*

EDIT 3: Removed links considering the wealth of negativity surrounding this, and the absolute arrogance by some forum members that it is a scam.

David

Note: I am not the seller, nor do I know them - I just thought this was a great deal that I can vouch for (I already purchased it and received the code), and the guy has perfect feedback.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 3,607

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Wow thats a pretty good deal, think I'll have to make that purchase once I get some money tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
anybody else got one of these. it just sounds a wee bit dodgy to me. AND it is april fools day.

I'm possibly going to buy one, the only reason I'm hesitating is because of DRM. Not sure if I want to be tied down as to where I can take my music etc.

I've looked at this guys feedback, and I'm next to certain this isn't a con.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Dodgy? Someone selling quantities of a £100 redeemable certificate for £35?

In general, and without referring to the auctioneer in question, of which I have no personal knowledge:

Of course it's fracking dodgy!

The only way one could sell items worth 100 for 35 on a continuing basis (if they are real certificates) is to

1) steal them or
2) buy them with a stolen charge card.

There was a scam in Canada where some theives bought airline redeemable vouchers with stolen credit card numbers, then sold them at a discount for cash. The airline was able to track the voucher numbers and cancelled all of the fraudulent ones. The suckers who bought them thinking they were getting a deal were out of luck. They went bleating to the news media how they were hard done by by the airline. Suckers who thought they could score a deal.

This is one way for a credit card thief to turn their stolen card number into cash anonymously.

You could make a case for a person who doesn't use iTunes getting a gift, and being stupid enough to auction it off for pennies on the pound, but not a repeat seller.

To the OP: IMO poor judgement in promoting a deal you have no idea of the legitimacy of. Some people will think you are a shill, as well. IMO of course.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
You could make a case for a person who doesn't use iTunes getting a gift, and being stupid enough to auction it off for pennies on the pound, but not a repeat seller.

Very true, I'm assuming there is no discount for buying iTunes gift cards in bulk? Even if there were, I highly doubt that you could then sell £100 gift cards for £35 and still make some money.

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
if you look at his feedback, you can see that he's selling the same voucher code multiple times...maybe this is how he's making his money. Any decent credit card company/back would have caught up with kind of purchasing on a stolen card immediately.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
if you look at his feedback, you can see that he's selling the same voucher code multiple times...maybe this is how he's making his money. Any decent credit card company/back would have caught up with kind of purchasing on a stolen card immediately.

You can tell nothing of the sort from his feedback. You CAN tell he is selling the same KIND of voucher though.
If that is the case, the code would not have worked over and over again for all the seperate customers.

To the OP: IMO poor judgement in promoting a deal you have no idea of the legitimacy of. Some people will think you are a shill, as well. IMO of course.

I care little of what you or others think. If you think it's poor judgement, thats fine. I think it is a good deal. You can't possibly know EVERY single legitimate method of purchasing iTunes gift vouchers so don't attempt to.

In actual fact, there have been auctions running for a while now with many sellers who offer the same item and the bidding normally ends at this price. These however are on 'Buy it Now'. Perhaps the seller has noticed the price these items go for, and decided to make the process simpler by offering them for BIN.

In any case, he accepts Paypal, and always have that as a route of getting my money back. But, of course, your arrogance that this is a scam will prevent you from even considering anything otherwise.

only reason im noy buying is that i dont want to loose £35 on an email that says "ha ha april fool"

If you re-read the original post, you will see I have already received the email with my code and it worked perfectly with iTunes, hence the balance.

Very true, I'm assuming there is no discount for buying iTunes gift cards in bulk? Even if there were, I highly doubt that you could then sell £100 gift cards for £35 and still make some money.

A pointless logic. You can only sell something at the value it is worth to the market. Sure, nobody is likely to make a profit selling £100 gift vouchers for £35, however, if that is all people are willing to pay (and looking at similar auctions that are not BIN, it is round about that price), then you have to sell at that price point.

Otherwise, you just won't sell them.

I see some of you are sceptical. I couldn't care less. I was just pointing out what I thought was a good deal. If you don't want to buy, then don't.

Please however refrain from suggesting I am associated with this eBay member. I am NOT!

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I can understand that someone might have a single unwanted voucher for sale. I struggle with how they would come to have a whole bunch of them.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I wonder if Apple can track those codes and eventually contact the code user and let them know they're using a bad (stolen) code?
I mean if that were the case here.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Nobody is knocking you for sharing this deal you found davidjearly, I simply think a few members are sharing there honest opinion on this kind of purchase in these circumstances, most probably based on past experience.

You have shown that your iTunes account has been credited the money, and I personally believe this to be a legitimate sale. But I can see why people are finding it fishy, it is much like those 'too good to be true' deals.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Wow! I'm definitely gonna get one of those! :D

Thanks, davidjearly. :)

Let us know how your transaction goes.

I'm holding off at the moment, the main reason being DRM, I can't decide if I really want £100 worth of music I that I may run into trouble with later on if I'm switching from computer to computer, doing backups, iPods etc etc etc.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The seller has been registered on eBay for 2 entire weeks...

Credit card fraud generally does not get discovered for 1 - 2 months, when people start disputing the unknown charges on their monthly bills.
Plenty of time for the seller to sell 5 or 10 thousand worth, close his ebay and paypal accounts, and disappear.

If Apple discovers a fraud and invalidates your credit, then you'll find PayPal to be most uncooperative as soon as they find out the account the seller attached to the PayPal account is empty. Be ready for the "Well, he wasn't a verified seller so we have no buyer protection for you"

45 Available... such a likely story, if he's willing to lose 65 on each one. :rolleyes: Wholesale discounts on these type of cards run about 10% off, IIRC.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Of course it is. What is the point of even posting here if that is all you can say. I'm sure others have already brought it up.

Dunno - your protestations might lead the suspicious to believe you're somehow involved. I'm just bluntly pointing out the obvious. I'm not saying don't buy, I am just saying it *is* almost certainly a credit card scam laundering effort to those who're unsure.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Dunno - your protestations might lead the suspicious to believe you're somehow involved. I'm just bluntly pointing out the obvious. I'm not saying don't buy, I am just saying it *is* almost certainly a credit card scam laundering effort to those who're unsure.

Except you are not in any position to say it 'is' almost certainly a credit card scam. It is possible, but it is NOT almost certain.

As for me suspicions surrouding my involvement, I've already stated that I don't care.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
You can't get something for nothing. Not dozens of times, week after week.

Something's up with this. Very possibly large-scale credit-card fraud, maybe not, but there is no way this is legal. I wouldn't continue to defend it if I were you. You're about to go beyond the point an honest "Devil's advocate" could reasonably reach.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I care little of what you or others think. If you think it's poor judgement, thats fine. I think it is a good deal. You can't possibly know EVERY single legitimate method of purchasing iTunes gift vouchers so don't attempt to.

There's likely only one method. Sorry.

Just because it wasn't a scam (since the voucher number itself is legit) doesn't mean it wasn't purchased with a stolen credit card or something.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I dont want to burst anyones bubble...

but he has the paypal buyer protection for up to £500... (see attached pic...)

or am I just reading it wrong???

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    104 KB · Views: 275

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I dont want to burst anyones bubble...

but he has the paypal buyer protection for up to £500... (see attached pic...)

or am I just reading it wrong???

Thanks

Click the "see eligibility" link to find out what the prerequisites are.

Also:
"If we grant a Claim under our Buyer Complaint Policy, PayPal will seek to collect from the seller by debiting the seller's PayPal Account up to the amount of your loss, and you will receive a recovery to the extent that the seller has funds available in the Account at the time we debit the seller's Account. If there is more than one Claim against the same Account, we will process the Claims in the order they are filed, and will pay out on each granted Claim up to the amount of funds in the seller’s Account at the time the Claim is awarded, but not more than the amount of the Claim."

So if the seller cleans out their PayPal account, you will not get your money back, regardless of Buyer Protection.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
FYI, codes can be generated, yes, even iTMS codes. So chances are, this seller is selling illegitimate codes that will in fact work, but are still fradulent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.