Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Did some more comprehensive benchmarking today of the major classic mac os versions on a 200mhz Power Mac 8600.

Check them out here, if you so desire: http://main.system7today.com/articles/til/benchmarks.html

Mac OS 7.6.1 (of course) wins hands down. It is only a very rough idea of how each system performs, on machines that can actually carry all four systems, and your results may always very.

9.2.2 was not tested because it does not officially support the 8600, although my guess is that it's GUI times would be closer to that of 8.6

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
im thinking the most proformance gain's is from the older OS not requireing much ram to run wich will make the OS faster on slower system's and a few other odd's and ends that i cant think of. OS 9.2.2 compaired to OS 7.x is a system hog, OS 7.x will alway's run faster but might not run some stuff that the newer OS will or as fast in some places as a newer OS does. inorder for OS 7.x to run what a newer OS can it would need more extention's and what not to support what the app is trying to use that OS 7.x dont have wich will take more memory and system resources wich will make the system more slower cause more stuff is loaded.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
madmax_2069 said:
im thinking the most proformance gain's is from the older OS not requireing much ram to run wich will make the OS faster on slower system's and a few other odd's and ends that i cant think of. OS 9.2.2 compaired to OS 7.x is a system hog, OS 7.x will alway's run faster but might not run some stuff that the newer OS will or as fast in some places as a newer OS does. inorder for OS 7.x to run what a newer OS can it would need more extention's and what not to support what the app is trying to use that OS 7.x dont have wich will take more memory and system resources wich will make the system more slower cause more stuff is loaded.

ok

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
so you didnt catch any of it

here lets sum it up

OS 7.x - faster on older system's Why? less of a system hog why ?? cause it dont have as many extention's loaded that OS 9.2.2 has

OS 9.2.2 slower on older system's Why?? more of a memory and system resource hog why?? more advanced support AKA like tcp/ip and other extention's loaded that use more memory and resources.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
madmax_2069 said:
OS 9.2.2 slower on older system's Why?? more of a memory and system resource hog why?? more advanced support AKA like tcp/ip and other extention's loaded that use more memory and resources.

I said "ok" as in "yes, I'm already aware of that."

System 7 does have TCP/IP though, and almost as many extensions and a similar number of control panels as Mac OS 9.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
dpaanlka said:
I said "ok" as in "yes, I'm already aware of that."

System 7 does have TCP/IP though, and almost as many extensions and a similar number of control panels as Mac OS 9.

ok i get it, all i seen was Ok i didnt know if it was the ok i get it or the Ok WTF is he talking about

cause all you said was OK. comunication man comunication

i thought it was called somthing else and wasent as advanced as tcp/ip but basicly did the same thing

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
madmax_2069 said:
i thought it was called somthing else and wasent as advanced as tcp/ip but basicly did the same thing

its literally identical. you may be thinking of an earlier system such as 7.1 but remember, but the version I tested is 7.6.1. Mac OS 7.6.1 is very very very close to Mac OS 8 in terms of functionality. The two OSes share much in common.

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
Have you done or heard of a comparison using the 1400 powerbook? I have 2 one 166 and the other w/a sonnet 466cpu.. Admittedly never used 7. anything, have used 8.0, 8.6, and 9.1, seems so far that 8.6 has been best.. What do you think will happen w/ 7.6 [I have it, just havent used it] Thanks. MV

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
racepres said:
Have you done or heard of a comparison using the 1400 powerbook? I have 2 one 166 and the other w/a sonnet 466cpu.. Admittedly never used 7. anything, have used 8.0, 8.6, and 9.1, seems so far that 8.6 has been best.. What do you think will happen w/ 7.6 [I have it, just havent used it] Thanks. MV

I actually have a 1400/133, and that very same Sonnet upgrade. The earlier versions of my test used this machine, but this was back in April, before I discovered the LibMoto extensions were compatible with OS 7 (and give quite an extra boost even further) so I would imagine it would be even better than the results below:

PowerBook 1400c/466

Also did the same on a 2300c:

PowerBook 2300c/100

Some people raised questions about the accuracy of these original tests because the System 7 machine had Speed Doubler 8 installed, but the Mac OS 8 machines did not, and I didn't even do Mac OS 9. The latest tests I did on the 8600 in the original post include LibMoto on System 7 (it's built into 8.1 and above), includes Speed Doubler 8 installed on all systems that it is compatible with (7.6.1, 8.1, and 8.6) and also features Mac OS 9. As I imagined, the results were still in favor of Mac OS 7.6.1, but I redid it anyway, just to removed all doubts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.