For using MPEG-2 you have to pay !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heinzruediger, Jul 17, 2002.

1. heinzruediger macrumors newbie

Jul 1, 2002
    You can download it for QT6, but it's not free.
  2. n0mmo macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    mpeg= pay?

Where is this? I haven't seen anything on getting mpeg-2 at all since the release.
  3. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    If you go to the Apple Store, there is a link on the right hand vertical column that mentions an MPEG-2 codec for QT 6 (pro or regular). But it costs $19.99 (education). Not sure if the non-education is more or not.
  4. n0mmo macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    pay for mpeg codec?!

They promised it (no mention of cost) when the Quicktime 6 preview came out! This is BS.

Apple, I love you guys... but this is complete bull and you know it.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    Licensing issues

This smacks of Entertainment Appeasment.
  6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    This actually ok of Apple, to play MPEG2 in windows you need a third party program like winDVD (which costs about $50). So it is no different with Macs. There are free MPEG2 players in windows, but they are not much better than VLC.

The only problem I have is that it says that the MPEG2 addon does not play all mpeg2 video. I would like to try it first to see if it plays my MPEG2 video files I recorded off the TV with my PC. VLC does not play them very well.
  7. n0mmo macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    which mpeg2's

well I broke down and bought the plugin... it works pretty ok.. sometimes. The problem is converting the streams to the ones you need. transport streams do not work.. and getting it to also play the audio is LOTS of fun.. *sigh* what a pain in the ass... if you're planning on trying to use this make sure to arm your self with bbDemux and the other assortment of tools available.