"For years" not "Four years"...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by freeny, Jul 28, 2006.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Even that, I would have to disagree. I must have gotten that 5% failure rate 3 times in a row then.
    Last may I bought first 4th gen photo iPod. It freezes about 1 year later and stops working. Next iPod (replaced by warrenty) will not charge. then, my 3rd ipod freezes again, and finally my fourth ipod has worked since then, (although, the menu button stopped working for a week, but then fixed itself.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oh...nice. I saw the original article on AI and thought it sounded reasonable. Definitely not the misquote of the year...it's certainly an understandable one. I'm sure there have been better ones. There's always Terrell Owens misquoting himself in his own book...

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The chance of getting three failures in a row, at 5% failure rate, is 1 in 8000. It's small, but by no means impossible. With ~45 million sold, that's 5625 people.

I know, I know, that doesn't make you feel any better ...

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

With a 5% failure rate roughly one in 8000 will get three bad ones in a row. Considering how many millions iPods that has been sold this will happen fairly often... (edit: Very slow on the calculator... :eek: ;))

This is what warranties are for... :rolleyes:

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Also note that at 5% failure rate (assuming that's per year), the MTBF of an iPod is 20 years. even at the higher 13.7 rate, the MTBF is 7.3 years. And, by the end of four years you'd either have 80% or ~55% of iPods still working.

B

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Huh?:confused:

8. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

My family first purchased a Mini two years ago, then a color iPod, then a Nano, then a Shuffle, then a Video, then a Shuffle...

...each one is still going strong - the Mini's were, in my opinion, Apple's best design. My sister's still looks brand new, and while I do like the color screen, her battery life is still basically the same as when she bought it (she has a 1G Mini).

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member