for your consideration...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Dec 9, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Here are two articles from one of my favorite writers, Robert Kaplan.

The first concerns the Media (and is long), the second concerns Iraq and the ME and was written before the US invasion of Iraq.

In some regards, the two articles overlap, but I found them both to make excellent points, which are applicable to much of our discussion here.

If you have the time, do read them and report back with your opinion.

regards.

http://www.policyreview.org/dec04/kaplan.html
    http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/bush/kaplan.htm

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the second piece:
    wouldn't it be refreshing to hear someone -- anyone -- in the bush administration say something that intelligent? or complex? or thoughtful?

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Wait just a mo... Wasn't Saddam a secular dictator who united Iraq's merchant class?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm reminded of a line in Life of Brian, about the romans bringing order to jerusalem: "they're the only ones who could in a place like this."

no one in the bush admistration seems to have given thought to the notion that saddam was brutal out of necessity to hold power and keep order, and not just as a whim.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, I don't know the history of the area very well, but I think that assessment is the easy on Saddam. He did invade a couple other countries and bomb 'his own people'. Then again, the Turks bombed 'their own people' as well (same people), and they're U.S. allies (so was Saddam for that matter).

Still, the administration has proved that it is incapable of keeping order in Iraq.