Force connection through Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bumfilter, Nov 16, 2005.

1. bumfilter macrumors regular

Hello all,

I've just got a new iMac and over the next few weeks I'll be transferring files and settings etc from my PowerBook to the iMac.

At the minute I'm just using AirPort with both and my Linksys router to make a connection between both computers but this is quite slow.

Is it possible to connect the iMac to the PowerBook via an Ethernet cable (giving me 1000Mbps) to transfer the files quicker?

I have tried it but it always resorts to doing things via AirPort. It works if I switch AirPort off but doing so stops the PowerBook from getting internet access.

Anyway to force it to mount and access a network drive via Ethernet but continue to get net access via AirPort?

Thanks if you can help!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Hook up the two by ethernet.
    Give both computers manual IP addresses.
    Turn on FTP (or some other sharing) and connect via IP.

Easier Method:
    Use target mode via firewire.

3. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, FTP sounds like a good idea.

I'll give that a go!

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Target disk mode might be more wise, since you will want to keep your net connection.

5. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

I need to keep the PowerBook on and running to collect my Mail and Podcasts etc, at least until I get them transferred.

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

Why can't you stop this so you can transfer? Your mail will still sit on the server. Do the transfer in incremements. Stupid question though: why don't you have the new stuff go into the iMac, that way all you have to transfer is the older stuff?