Force quit.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by damooster, Jan 7, 2007.

1. damooster macrumors newbie

(I am a new Mac owner.)

I was playing WoW and it froze. I could not even move my cursor. I tried the force quit option through my keyboard but that did not work. So I ended up holding the power button until the mac shut down.

Did I do the right thing or is there another option when this happens?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sometimes that is the best (and only viable) solution.

You could use Disk Utility to verify your disk after such a hard restart, just to see if all's well...

3. Quboid macrumors 6502

When that happens to me on my iBook. i normally just go to the task manager (apple-key,alt plus esc). that works fine.

PS. There is this one time when even the power button wouldn't help, and i took the battery out. The computer then made this dying sound (like an engine).
    was that a bad thing to do?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... that is the final resort when a laptop freezes totally... and if you gotta do it, well, then you gotta do it...

Of course if your machine freezes regularly (and not because of torrent apps or known system hacks) then that's a bad thing™, and you need to look for the reason...

If it only happens once (or extremely rarely) then don't worry.

One tip though: Make another restart (or even better: shut down and count to 10 before starting up again) after the initial hard reboot (and verifying the disk). That should clean up most things... :)

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah this has happened to me too. When it happens, I just do the power button restart, and run disk utility to make sure everything is ok (it always is) and iLife goes on.

6. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

A lot of the time when you play a game, it's harder to force quit. Try apple + option + shift + escape, because it will force quit without asking.

7. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's in /Applications/Utilities/ (i.e. the folder called Utilities inside your Applications folder).

9. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

In my applications folder the only other folder in their is AppleScript

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

- Is that the /Applications folder (i.e. the one that is on the root of your HD) or the ~/Applications folder (i.e. the one in your user's home folder)?

- Which language is your Mac OS X in...? In Norwegian the folder is called 'Verktøy'.

- You haven't deleted something you shouldn't have...?

- Have you tried using Spotlight to search for 'Disk Utility'?

11. damooster thread starter macrumors newbie

12. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

-Looked in the root HD one

-English

-Oops... maybe? Anyway to recover?

-Yes to no avail

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree and can't emphasize Mitthrawnuruodo's second point enough. If you have to do a forced shutdown always check out your HD afterwards with Disk Utility (both permissions and repair).

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, but the easiest (if you don't have a very full HD) might be an Archive and Install.

Do backup all the data you absolutely cannot afford loosing first, though. Always a good idea, and especially before major installs/changes...

15. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

and macs are supposed to be these golden reboot-free machines.:confused:
    i think most claims made by apple about the quality of macs is exxagerated.
    but i will say this, Force Quit works better than windows' CTRL ALT DELETE that's for sure.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Macs are much easier than PC's to keep in top running form.

I work on both. The Mac has its quirks but is much simpler to keep in top running form. Cloning HDs is easier. Virus/Trojan/Worm/Ad Aware protection is so much easier on a Mac.

You got that right! :)

Coming from a mainframe start, the CTL-ALT-DEL key sequence is laughable. You can really tell the difference in the underpinnings of the OS when you try to stop an application from running. The Windows version is like asking a two year old child to stop doing something. Most of the time it doesn't work well. ;)

17. damooster thread starter macrumors newbie

This happened again and I tried the apple+options+shift+esc thing and that didn't work either...my mac was just frozen. There has to be another option other than holding the power button down...

One other question: I ran the disk utility...is it the "verify" option that checks to make sure everything is ok?

Thanks.

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Basically, choose your hard drive from the left, and then click the button which says 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Verify looks for errors, but doesn't repair them. Repair does both.

If your Mac keeps on doing it (in different Apps though), then try re-setting the PRAM (ask if you have to do it, we'll walk you through it :) ). If that doesn't work, then try re-installing OS X.

If that doesn't work, then you need to give Apple a bell, your Mac is a not a happy one...

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You need to boot from the install disk, then go to Disk Utility on the install disk. Note, you do not need to install Mac OS X. Just use the install disk to run Disk Utility. Or you can boot from an external drive and use the external drive's copy of Disk Utility.