Force Refresh in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tek, Jun 26, 2004.

1. tek macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to do a 'Force refresh' in safari?

The same way shift+reload does in Mozilla-based products and control+refresh does in Internet Explorer.

My problem is that i'm behind a forced ISP proxy server, which has a lovely habit of caching my stylesheets for days on end. I can get past the cache of the actual .html page by tagging something like ?sdfsdf onto the end of the URL, but for things included in the html it's a totally different matter.

When I used to use windows, i could just control+refresh to do something funky to get it to poke the proxy server and make it grab fresh copies of the documents, but I have had no such luck with Safari!

Anyone?

2. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Hold down the option key while clicking on the refresh icon in the toolbar.

3. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Isn't it the Apple key (well that little curly symbol on the apple key) and R to force a reload of a page?

4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

yep apple+r refresh
    if you look in the view menu it tells you ;) but you dont often look there, i dont
    :)

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Being a new switcher, I am looking all over the place to ways to do things!

And coming from a WinDoze / Pee Cee background - I am a big fan of fast and efficient short cut keys... and normally things are so hard to do!

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In my experience, simply clicking refresh fetches a new copy of the page (regardless of browser) when I'm behind one of those caching proxy servers. After the page loads, if I know it's outdated, I just press the refresh button, and it fetches the latest page, complete with current JavaScript/stylesheets. I suspect that the problem may be with Safari itself, as I've heard on these forums about issues where Safari wouldn't let go of its cache of a particular stylesheet for several weeks, just like you describe.