Force-refreshing widgets?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by katie ta achoo, May 5, 2005.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've searched around the internet and haven't been able to find a way to force-refresh widgets in dashboard. Is there a way to do it?

I've noticed at the bottom of some of mine (currency converter, weather, stocks, traffic) the refresh date says that it was a few days since it has refreshed the data.
    Is the currency converter (one of the stock ones) updating itself only once every few days because currency doesn't change super-quickly?
    And the Yahoo Traffic one I know for sure hasn't updated because it says "no incidents reported", even though I have it on the lowest traffic threshold setting, and I have it set for Houston, TX (worst. traffic. ever!).

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've noticed that if you click the little "i" (which flips the widget around), change settings (for example, a different ZIP code or stock symbol), click Done, and then go back and set the settings the way you want them to be, the data will be as up-to-date as it can be.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If that fails, click in a widget and hit Apple-R to reload it completely (with a nice effect!). This should force data reloading.

4. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Wow! The apple + R thing works like a charm (and looks really cool, too!)

Thanks! :D

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's much better than my method. :)

6. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW that is way cool. I was just wondering this myself earlier. :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, Mac users are special, so they deserve a little something something. :)

8. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Too bad they don't tell you that this is how you reset Widgets. I knew of that method, but I'm sure lots of people will not for a long time.

WHenever they incorporate a feature such as this, there should be another, easier way of doing so, say right clicking on the widget and allowing for a data reset.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

They could've just added a refresh button in the bottom right of the whole Dashboard screen or on one of the corners of the widget.

At least refreshing doesn't require a CoreImage compatible card ;) Fun stuff.