Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone know if I need to worry about forced subtitles for any of the following shows?
The Wire
The Sopranos
Rome

What is the best way to get forced subtitles using Handbrake?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Here is my process....... (might not be the most efficient)

I play the movie/show with an ordinary DVD player, and look to see if the disc automatically chose a subtitle setting, if it did I select that in handbrake.

The newest handbrake (released a few days ago) and I think the previous version has a selection under subtitle called Foreign Audio Search (Bitmap). I turn that on, it scans a movie/show, and if it one that forces subtitles only during certain scenes it will pick that up... (kill bill, defiance, boondocks saints 2 come to mind for examples.)

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles for more info.

I always hard burn them in to the video, I don't think iPads, apple tv's etc can use selectable ones.

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
There were no subtitles in The Wire. Pretty sure there was nothing in the Sopranos as well, but it's been a while since I've watched that series.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I believe the previous "release" of Handbrake had some issues with forced subtitles, which required using one of the "dailies" instead. I can only assume they have fixed this in the latest release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.