Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I had a problem with iCal which required a reinstallation of the application by extracting the install package from the Tiger install DVD using Pacifist. This cured my problem with iCal (hooray!), but now I seem to be stuck with version 2.0 of iCal (the latest being 2.03). Software Update doesn't recognize the older version. I tried removing the package receipts for iCal from Library/Reciepts, but Software Update still seems to think I'm running the most recent version.

How do I force Software Update to deliver the latest version of iCal?

Thanks!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Eidorian said:
I'd say that the iCal updates were pushed with normal point release OS X updates. It'd more then likely require you to download the full installer of whatever version of OS X you have and run that to update iCal.

I've examined the contents of the 10.4.6 combo updater, and it doesn't include any iCal updates. In the past, these have always been shown in Software Update as freestanding updates.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The 10.4.5 Combo Updater does deliver an iCal update, but it's not in the form of a package installer, so I don't think it can be extracted.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
IJ Reilly said:
But I'm wondering, where is Software Update checking to determine if my version is the most up-to-date one, if not in Receipts folder?

Was there ever a standalone update to iCal under 10.4? I've reviewed my software update logs and can't see any entries for iCal. iCal updates must be tied to the Tiger point updates.

Maybe try installing the 10.4.5 combo updater, and then reapply the .6 updater? Is that even possible?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
aquajet said:
Was there ever a standalone update to iCal under 10.4? I've reviewed my software update logs and can't see any entries for iCal. iCal updates must be tied to the Tiger point updates.

Maybe try installing the 10.4.5 combo updater, and then reapply the .6 updater? Is that even possible?

I don't know.

I've already done 10.4.6. In fact, my problem with iCal (wouldn't launch) appeared right after the .6 update. I know I've seen iCal updates in Software Update in the past, but possibly not since Tiger.

Unless someone can think of another way, it's looking like the only way I'll get back to the most recent version of iCal is to reinstall OSX and and reapply the software updates. No way am I going to go through that for such a small issue. Frustrating, though. Apple needs to give us a better way.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
IJ Reilly said:
Unless someone can think of another way, it's looking like the only way I'll get back to the most recent version of iCal is to reinstall OSX and and reapply the software updates. No way am I going to go through that for such a small issue. Frustrating, though. Apple needs to give us a better way.

Woah, reinstall the OS? You're kidding me, right? :D

How about trashing everything iCal-related (except obviously make that backup of your actual events) and reinstalling iCal from the Tiger DVD to give you the original version (using Pacifist). See if this reinstall of just iCal, with new receipts, will let you update to the latest version, once again using Pacifist and the 10.4.5 Combo Update. :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
mad jew said:
Woah, reinstall the OS? You're kidding me, right? :D

Knew you'd like that, coming from me. Might be the only way to "fix" this problem, but (taking my own advice) it isn't worth the trouble for this reason alone. Actually, I had been contemplating an archive and install since my Mac became unbootable after a power interruption a few weeks ago. Disk Warrior repaired the disk, but ever since then I've been wondering...

mad jew said:
How about trashing everything iCal-related (except obviously make that backup of your actual events) and reinstalling iCal from the Tiger DVD to give you the original version (using Pacifist). See if this reinstall of just iCal, with new receipts, will let you update to the latest version, once again using Pacifist and the 10.4.5 Combo Update. :)

I've tried this, more or less. I started by dragging everything iCal-related I could find (preferences, application support) onto the desktop, but iCal still would not launch. But I did put them back into their proper locations before reinstalling the application. The problem with the .5 combo update is that it doesn't include a package installer for iCal. It includes "iCal.app" with an icon I don't recognize, along with a bunch of other files in the iCal folder.

I'm probably going to have to wait for the next fractional update of iCal. Until then, everything seems to be working fine.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
IJ Reilly said:
Knew you'd like that, coming from me. Might be the only way to "fix" this problem, but (taking my own advice) it isn't worth the trouble for this reason alone. Actually, I had been contemplating an archive and install since my Mac became unbootable after a power interruption a few weeks ago. Disk Warrior repaired the disk, but ever since then I've been wondering...

Hell has frozen over. Next thing you'll be telling me you're exchanging it for a Dell. :D

IJ Reilly said:
I've tried this, more or less. I started by dragging everything iCal-related I could find (preferences, application support) onto the desktop, but iCal still would not launch. But I did put them back into their proper locations before reinstalling the application. The problem with the .5 combo update is that it doesn't include a package installer for iCal. It includes "iCal.app" with an icon I don't recognize, along with a bunch of other files in the iCal folder.

Okay, but I mean to reinstall it from your Tiger disks and then update it with 10.4.5. Irrespective...

IJ Reilly said:
I'm probably going to have to wait for the next fractional update of iCal. Until then, everything seems to be working fine.

...If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Yeah, I'm glad it's all working properly (ish) and hopefully 10.4.7 will bring you the latest version. :)

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
The combo updaters, unlike the delta updaters, should have all the stuff from previous updates subsequent to the version number, In other words, the 10.4.6 combo updater should have all the security updates and upgrades in it from 10.4.1 - 10.4.6. Thus, anyone who installed 10.4.0 would only need to apply the 10.4.6 combo update to bring the system fully up to date. No need to mess with earlier versions.

If you extracted and installed iCal from the original Tiger (10.4.0) install DVD, it's awfully amazing that applying the 10.4.6 combo updater would not bring iCal up to date.

The key here is applying 10.4.6 combo through the normal installation process after removing receipts that pertain to previous Tiger updates (10.4.1 forward) There should be an iCal receipt for version 2.0 that was installed with 10.4.0. I would leave that receipt in place.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
VanNess said:
If you extracted and installed iCal from the original Tiger (10.4.0) install DVD, it's awfully amazing that applying the 10.4.6 combo updater would not bring iCal up to date.

That's exactly what I was thinking. As you say, the key is in the receipts. All I can think is that maybe there's a receipt associated with iCal that we're not thinking of. I mean, maybe there's one that doesn't have iCal in it's name... I can't think what that would be though. Plus, I might just be heading down the wrong path. :eek:

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
mad jew said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. As you say, the key is in the receipts. All I can think is that maybe there's a receipt associated with iCal that we're not thinking of. I mean, maybe there's one that doesn't have iCal in it's name... I can't think what that would be though. Plus, I might just be heading down the wrong path. :eek:

I'm not even sure it's all that necessary to remove the previous OS X receipts. Combo updaters by design operate under the impression that you haven't applied a previous update and simply install the works - I think. That's what makes it a useful troubleshooter for hard-to-fathom system wackiness.

Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt to move previous OS update receipts out of the receipts folder and into a temp location.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
VanNess said:
I'm not even sure it's all that necessary to remove the previous OS X receipts. Combo updaters by design operate under the impression that you haven't applied a previous update and simply install the works - I think.

I thought it checked to see what you need. I didn't think it replaced anything unless something was missing or it was a file that needed updating. I guess it's a bit of a grey area since I've seen combo updaters regurgitate the "no need to update, you're running the latest version" dialogue box, implying some sort of check takes place.

I like to think you're right though. I like to think reinstalling from the DVD and deleting all receipts would be unnecessary, but then again, I think it would be worth a try if iCal start playing up fro IJ Reilly again. :)

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
mad jew said:
I guess it's a bit of a grey area since I've seen combo updaters regurgitate the "no need to update, you're running the latest version" dialogue box, implying some sort of check takes place.

Really? I remember running a combo updater once. I don't remember why I did, but I remember doing it. And I already had the same OS version installed as the combo updater, though it was through the usual delta update process. Still, the combo ran and appeared to do it's thing just like any other update right up to the reboot instruction. No complaining messages about already running the latest version.

I do remember that dialog appearing on java updaters where the current version is already installed, but if it also appears on OS combo updaters, it's news to me.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
VanNess said:
...but if it also appears on OS combo updaters, it's news to me.

I could be going mad, but I swear I got that message a little while back when trying to run a 10.4.3 update over a 10.4.3 machine. Perhaps it's only a new thing... Who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.