Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I installed a Pioneer NEX in my 2013 Boss 302 Mustang and I have to say Car Play is most welcome. The only real issue is Siri and some key missing features. (you can't shuffle Genre's from Car Play is one)

But the GUI is nice, much easier to use than the native. I like Siri's reading of texts which keeps my eyes on the road. Dictating to her is hit and miss. They need more work there. I do like the MAPs integration. Makes it super fast to get a trip set up.

Thing is, if your car already has an advanced system like Sync 3, or Dodge's setup, not much need. Unless you're an Apple maniac. Mine had Sync 1.0 with no screen, so it was pretty much junk.

Car Play was a great way to modernized my infotainment system.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Is it actually good in practice? How much of it is Apple, and how much is Ford? Because I don't trust Ford. From what I've seen, it looks like every car manufacturer's technology is made by people stuck in the 90s who read about 2008 technology in an encyclopedia and are now trying to implement it with cheesy touch screen stuff.

Reactions: sinsin07

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Understandable. Every time a hapless customer of F.O.R.D. is stuck on a roadside or smashed into a coma because the brakes, engine, transmission, whatever, heated up or broke down at the worst possible moment, having music to listen to while idling the time away never hurts. Of course, as long as the batteries hold up...

Quite the different experience for me: I leased a 2013 Focus SE for 3 years...no problems mechanically, however, the Microsoft Sync system was the worst. Now leasing a 2016 Focus Titanium. Smooth riding car, great pick-up, and very good sound system. While I like the new Sync 3 system (no navigation), looking forward to Carplay's debut later this year.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I had a couple of Fords in the 90s. They were terrible and I swore is never buy another. Fast forward 20 years later and both cars in my driveway are Ford. They have really stepped up their game in recent years, but a bad history can be hard to shake.
My current car has Sync 3, and while I find it usable, the idea of carplay is the future. Even if sync was every bit as good as carplay, it will fall behind over time. Carplay will always stay current. But more importantly, my phone is already configured to my needs. Why do I want to mess with configuring a second system while I sit in my driveway? I just want my car to piggy back off of my primary device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.