Foreign films

Discussion in 'Community' started by dnte42, Nov 17, 2002.

1. dnte42 macrumors regular

Lately I have been on a bit of a foreign film kick. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some great movies, new or old.

While on the topic, I would have to recommend two films (two of the greatest ever) to anyone who has not seen them: Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai and Ingemar Bergan's The Seventh Seal. Although both are black and white and subtitles (for anyone who truly appreciates the cinema this shouldn't be an issue :p ). The first is one of the best action movies ever made. It clocks in at around 3:30, but the charters are delightful and the exploration of class structure in 17th century Japan is very interesting (and the fights are great too, for those who need reassurance). The second is a story about the search for God and meaning in the face of death, and is also a wonderful story while being very thought provoking. All right, advertisement over...anyone have anything to say 'bout this?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I know this doesn't go along too much w/ the thread, but it
    seemed like an OK place to put it. Go to Muffinfilms
    and click on 11, it is hillarious. Same with #4. I love muffin films.

Foreign films...... hmmmmm.......... The best on in the world is
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but there are a bunch of good
    ones. Iron Monkey, snake in Eagles Shadow, but I am going off
    track, because I don't think you are looking for kung fu movies :D.

3. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

It still might be in theatres near you, or if not it'll be out on DVD soon, Das Experiment. Good psychological thriller based on the Stanford Prison Experiment.
    My other foreign film recomendations:
    "Run Lola Run" and "Princess and the Warrior" both directed by Tom Tykwer.

4. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Heh, Crouching Tiger weasn't a bad movie. It was also more of a co-production between America and Hong Kong. Not purely foreign, but it doesn't matter.

As for the muffins...very interesting.

5. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, Run, Lola, Run was a fun movie. MTV-style direction at its finest. Babett's Feast is also an excellent movie that just came to mind. I can't remember who directed it, but it was very well made. Haven't heard about Das Experiment, but I am intrigued.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Run Lola Run was interesting. I have seen it twice. Amelie was
    OK but im not into those kind of movies. Muffin films is definitely
    interesting. Going from 1 to 12 is the best. Then the finale makes
    a lot more sense. :D .

7. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

I Kina spiser de hunde (In China they eat dogs <- directly translated, do not know the official english name) is a really great danish movie. In the same alley as Snatch and Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels.

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    cinema paradiso and amelie are my two foreign faves.

9. job macrumors 68040

job

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Snatch was a really good movie. I wonder what dog tastes like......

11. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Heh, I suppose that the Monty Pyhtons movies have been left out until now. All the same, British movies are quite similar to American (or we just steal their good directors, like Hitchcock).

12. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Good foreign films... hmm...

Knockin´on heavens door (Germany)
    Action/Comedy
    Ringu (Japan) Original of remake "The Ring"
    Horror
    Akira (Japan) Possibly greatest animated movie of all time.
    M (Germany)
    Thriller from 1930´s
    Serial Lover (France/UK)
    Comedy "noir" ;)

and there are still many others... hmm!

13. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah, forgot about M. Definately one of the better early German films that I have seen. As far as animated/anime goes, probably the best I have seen is Grave of the Fireflies, ever tho it was so depressing it made me want to kill myself...:p :(

14. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Fireflies, yeah, already heard of and it is very tragic AFAIK but sadly ;) I wasn´t able to watch it by now. Will do very soon.

15. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Some comedies:

Amelie (French)
    Shall We Dance? (Japanese)
    Any films staring Michael Hui (All Cantonese)

Wong Kar Wai films:
    In the Mood for Love (Cantonese)
    Chungking Express (Cantonese)
    Days of Being Wild (Cantonese)

16. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

It's funny that when you realize the huge number of movies that are made every year throughout the world how few of them ever reach our shores, yet most of the crap that Hollywood turns out winds up in every country of the world.

Yes, Hollywood is responsible for occasionally making some wonderful films, but c'mon...most of it is mediocre at best.

17. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

My other general impression is that many Americans seem to think foreign films are for art houses only. That is, if it ain't from Hollywood, it's too "artsy" to be viewed.

Subtitling was another issue I found annoying. When "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was released, theaters had to post signs warning prospective viewers that the film was subtitled--as if this was an issue to begin with. :rolleyes:

Not every foreign film is good, but when you have the garbage that Hollywood puts out on a continual basis, someone somewhere has to be making better films. Anyhow, until more Americans open their minds and build their literary skills to watch subtitled films, Hollywood will continue to rule.

18. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Monsoon Wedding.. it's an Indian flick which really shows the typical Indian wedding... with a touch of western culture...

It's going to be shown at the Cannes Film Festival... you should watch it.. it's quite interesting, and plus, it's in English.

irmongoose

19. diorio macrumors 6502a

Life is Beautiful

Life is Beautiful, a great Italian movie about the Holocaust. Roberto Beningi won an academy award for something in it, and it was well deserved.

20. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: Life is Beautiful

I was about to mention it, it is one of the greates movies ever. Is one of those movies that no mater when you start it to see it you will keep going. Remind me the teate of ... that movie with the 8 kids in the Swis Alps... Well, it is a movie worth 100% the time.

21. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Foreign films...

City of Lost Children

Delicatessen

Il Postino

You know what's funny? If you go to Puerto Rico and go to a Blockbuster, all the Puerto Rican films are in the "foreign" section!

Just FYI:D

22. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Re: Foreign films

I agree completely. There's nothing worse IMO than a dubbed movie. Sure, the ideal would be that we all spoke ALL languages, but the next best thing are subtitles. Dubbing completely ruins the performances, no matter how good the voice-overs are.

23. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I haven't seen it in years, but I remember that the original Mad Max was dubbed. Apparently they thought that Mel Gibson's australian accent would be too much for audiences to handle.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Foreign films

That is unless you're watching martial arts movies with bad dubbing - it sort of goes with the film and its part of the viewing experience. There are others that are absoulely terrible (some even from America), but in general, I prefer dubbing in martial arts films as opposed to subtitles. Maybe its more fun/campy when you don't take the film that seriously.

D

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the recent animation "spirited away" was brilliant.

i kinda see the director as a later, animation form of kurasawa in that the colors in it remind me a great deal of the colors in ran.... not so much the specific colors, just the fact that they are totally bright and vivid and unlike most of what i've ever seen...

quite amazing.

seven samurai rules....