Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
*sigh* I just had decided to finally take the plunge and order a 12" PB (to be delivered in a week or two, and I can still cancel the order). Now, I might be able to get a 15" 867 MHz Combo for EUR 2000,- (lowest price I saw previously: EUR 2149,-). I am really tempted, since it is only about EUR 200,- more than the 12" PB.

However, I am not too familiar with the 15", since I can't find it on display anymore (since a while already). I found these differences:

+ L3 cache
+ higher resolution
+ 256 MB built-in (as opposed to 128 MB on the 12")
- only 40 GB HDD (the 12" I ordered has 60 GB)
- "standard" Airport (I can live with that)
- no bluetooth built-in (I can live with that, too)
- Ti-Case (do the "flake" problems still exist? Is it really a minus?)

Are there any other differences I need to be aware of? Is the battery life about the same? Might the 15" be a bit cooler than the 12"?

Oh, and is the keyboard as nice as the 12" one?

Thanks for the help!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
15", i think, will feel a little cooler. this is my experience on comparing 12/15 at various stores.

15" keyboard is not as nice as 12", in my opinion. (it's detachable so it feels a little springy, i think.)

15" has lower wireless range, generally. 15" antenna is placed horizontally in the main part of the laptop. (12" has it placed vertically on the display with plastic covers over it.)

i like the "plain" mold of 12"/17" Al instead of two toned Ti, but that's strictly my opinion.

i also heard that 15" screen sometime gets keyboard imprints due to the close proximity of the two when closed. 12" seems to have enough clearance for this to not occur.

lastly, 15" can boot OS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.