Forget Airport Extreme, we need this!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iJon, Apr 12, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

2. Tommy! macrumors regular

I know nothing about that hardware of it all but maybe Apple could make some sort of software update that would allow airport antennas to support that? If it catches on, of course.

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

to bad it costs about 10,000 dollars, i could really use the internet 30 miles away from my house. war driving will take on a whole new name.

iJon

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

WiMax sounds great. In 2-3 years, it might be inexpensive enough that many companies with multiple buildings in a metropolitan area could share their speediest connection and save the cost of re-wiring old buildings, which can be quite expensive in itself.

It might be a while until we see it at home though.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

well it looks cool, but it has "only 70 mbts"... Imagine if there are lets say 50 people on it, not many, you ll have a dl of about 1.4 mbts.
    if there are some 1000 what is much more probable once the netwok works for good, you ll get some 7 Kbytes... that s not that much huh?

7. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

but not everyone would be transferring data at the same time, or at least i doubt it.

iJon

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Also that's per access point. Who's to say you couldn't have a dozen or more access points that would allow you to shift from point to point like Aiport or the cell towers do. You could even use more then one tower at a time.

I saw some recent reviews of 802.11a vs. b and g and it looks like a is the way to go if you don't need a lot of range. For people in a small house, dorm room, or apartment 'a' is the format to have. It offers better security do to it's shorter range and in the recent tests it outpeforms 802.11g by nearly double. Yes, 'g' with optimization should be as fast as 'a' but at the moment it's not.

9. Macpoops macrumors 6502

This is all fine and dandy. But there isn't an Internet connection that exists that is anywhere near the speed of it. The only thing that is going to benefit from it is in network point to point file transfer. And frankly that is not what they are promoting.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

from searchNetworking.com

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

first off, a software update would NOT allow for this. otherwise, why would the price be so different? there's a hardware issue here, obviously...

secondly, internet connections, especially wireles s ones, tend to be oversold quite a bit. since all the users on the network will not be online at once, and the ones that ARE won't be accessing data at the same time-- users only peak their download capabilities rarely, if they're on broadband.

pnw

12. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I Have my t1 line running flat out 90% of the time, this would suck for me because I am shure that they will put a cap on it. Thank god that earthlink doesnt cap now:)

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Are you serving? ;)

pnw

14. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

prolly running 3 different p2p apps at the same time! lol :D