Forget California, It's time to recall Microsoft

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Aug 22, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm just so glad that I'm a Mac user. Microsoft tries to blame others for its problems. If MS coughs the world gets a cold!

According to a Wired story today, Microsoft is confused why these worms continue plaguing users when the company's made great effort to improve the patch delivery process. Microsoft says it's working with federal law enforcement to find out who's behind the dastardly deed that's giving the software monopoly yet another embarrassing black eye in the media. This is a typical Microsoft response full of proactive sound of fury, but signifying nothing helpful._ And the media's full of reporting about the pervasiveness of MSBlaster and what people can do to protect themselves against this "latest" cyber-threat.

http://www.theregister.com/content/55/32449.html

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The reason for all these bugs and worms is simple--it's a curse brought on by Microsoft after they they first screwed Steve 20 years ago. Steve put an evil pirate's curse on anything related to Windows to slowly drive Bill insane. Muhuhahaha!

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

It seems that MicroSoft think that they need to do even more for their users:

Microsoft is considering offering automatic software updates that users can then opt out of, said Jeff Jones, director of security for the Microsoft Security Business Unit.

Evidently, that infuriating "Mr. Clippy" from Word just wasn't good enough. I can't wait for the mayhem that will ensue when MS tries an opt-out automatic update policy. Really it's worse than spam.

The day that MS announces that they're implementing automatic opt-out updating to their OS, I'm sticking my entire 401K into AAPL.

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

well, worms, and viruses really come down to common sense. I have never had a virus on a PC, and for good reason.

Still, Windows needs a major, major overhaul.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Microsoft forgot one small problem. The biggest virus to plague a PC-user's computer is Windows. I suggest that people grab the Critical Security Patch for Windows XP 43629, a.k.a. a PowerMac G5 + OS X. It's not free, but worth the cost.

Powerbook G5: Pirate curse? Let me guess, Pirates of Cupertino: Curse of the Black Cursor

idea_hamster: I totally agree. Microsoft updates are like executable spam. They could name their automated downloads after their founder and call them ASS-Automated Spam Saver.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

7. xpormac macrumors regular

eh...no, its not worth switching from windows to only os x.

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Ahh...but that's the beauty of it -- it's not just OS X that you get! You get:

iApps (iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, iChat, ietc.)
    iTunes Music Store
    Fire Wire 800
    ADC, if you want
    Soon-to-be bluetooth mouse and keyboard
    Free professional development tools
    Wonderful design

...and if that wasn't enough, you'll only have to restart once in a blue moon.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-idea_hamster

This is precisely why I'm worried about the Wintel side of me - further loss of freedom and choice.

I bought this thing, I want to use it. Do not take choice away from me.

Oh, and don't worry about xpormac, he's clearly inexperienced both here in the forums, and with OS X. Until he thinks for himself, and makes the choice to try it out, let's not feed him.

10. xpormac macrumors regular

excuse me? I have a mac and a windows machine, I like them both, but like windows more. :rolleyes:

Just because I don't like mac more doesn't mean I'm wrong.

and yes im new and inexperienced in these forums :D

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I hope, at least, that you don't like security updates? I have come to the mature conclusion that there is a lot of nice hardware in the PC world, but that there are serious advantages to one company extensively testing and controlling what goes into its machines. On the other hand, to get a PC monster, you've got to build it yourself, and are never sure how well your parts really work together. And I personally don't think that the hardware justifies the use of Windows. Windows itself kills your performance gains on hardware.

But I suppose it all comes down to choice. I bet you're a hardcore gamer.

as opposed to once in a blue screen of death? yeah, you're right.

12. xpormac macrumors regular

Explain how it kills your performance gains in hardware? lol

No, not true, you can buy a top of the line system from most companies out there.

Nope, Hardcore 3d modeling guy. Don't know why you would say this though.

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If he prefers his PC and Windows XP, then great for him. It's his preference and there are benefits. I can't tell you how much I miss building my own "beast" with my bare hands with nothing but spare parts, lots of dreams, and friends in high places (my best friend's uncle works as a prototype engineer for IBM). There's a lot of cool hardware (and a lot cheaper to get your hands on) with the PC side, too. I have to admit, it would be damn cool to configure a 2.7 GHz Athlon 64 laptop running a 64-bit Linux. It'd beat the hell out of waiting a year for Motorola to give Apple a 250 MHz speed bump and never delivering on the goods on time, that's for sure. I personally would not want to ever go back to Windows and deal with all that crap associated with it, but there are aspects about the PC universe that are pretty nice. If the guy likes his XP system over his OS X system, then great...one less person to be in front of me in line for Panther/new Mac pre-orders :)

14. xpormac macrumors regular

positive outlook, great post Powerbook G5

15. mico macrumors newbie

16. xpormac macrumors regular

Wow, I didn't know that, hehe.

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't get why all the Mac hating friends I have say "Microsoft owns Apple". They have stock in Apple, but Bill doesn't sit there telling Apple what to do.

18. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe that is about the time that Bill Gates showed on the screen during Steve Jobs Keynote at MW Boston in 1997!

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Man, if only a hot chick in an Apple shirt could have ran through the room and fling a sledge hammer towards the screen...one can dream...:D

20. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I particularly liked this:

Well, I suppose back in 1997, they hadn't seen anything yet. Something tells me that there was a coherent strategy and it seems to be working pretty well.

21. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

If i remember correctly the 150 million investment was part of a deal between microsoft and apple to settle certain patent disputes as well as assure that microsoft would not abandone the mac os platform. Microsoft agreed to provide their office suite for 5 years with as many updates as the windows version recieved. Microsoft was required to hold the stock for at least 3 years without selling any off so that they would not be tempted to pull out of the contract as it would hurt apple's stock price and thus their own investment.

It was done right before the boston macworld where jobs announced the new "partnership" of the two companies.

It would be interesting to see if microsoft still had any of the stock or if it had sold it off. It would be public information, but I'm not sure where it could be found.

22. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I would be interested to know too. I did a quick check of Microsoft's latest Form 10-Q filed with the SEC (their May quarterly report). The report doesn't mention Apple Computer or AAPL (Apple's ticker symbol), nor does it give asset details on the balance sheet. :shrug:

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I always figured they sold back the stock. If so, good ridence to bad company! Once we get a good office suite program for OS X, I wouldn't mind if Steve could go to Microsoft and Bill and tell them where they can take their software and in which places they could cram it. :)

24. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

They did. IIRC, almost immediately afterward.

25. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I totally agree -- I've been hoping for Apple to buy out (1st choice) Nisus Writer or (2nd) Mariner. I think that Nisus was a better program for word processing, but Mariner has a very good word processor and a related spreadsheet program. (I always thought that Nisus's superb multi-language with right-to-left text really jibed with the Mac mentality -- but that's probably just egotism ;) )

If Apple bought Mariner and folded FileMaker back in, they's have a pretty snappy office solution with Keynote.