Forget the iBook, who's got their new PowerBook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Somebody, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Somebody macrumors member

Oct 17, 2002

I've got another 2-3 weeks to wait, since I'm getting the SuperDrive model. But I was under the impression that the other models would be shipping much sooner. So, anybody got one? How's the performance?
  2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Apr 17, 2002
    Columbia, MO
    Still waiting :rolleyes:

Gonna be a long 3-4 week wait.

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    Ditto.;) I can't wait.
  4. twalkabout macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    Mine just shipped

My Powerbook w/ Superdrive just shipped.

I ordered mine a little before 11am EST the day they came out.

Only thing is, if I can't get it before Monday somehow, then I'll have to refuse the package, because I am leaving the country to film a documentary. Hmm...maybe the Apple Store will get them in soon...
  5. Somebody thread starter macrumors member

Oct 17, 2002
    Already shipped w/Superdrive?

Did you order yours directly from Apple, twalkabout? (I would assume so, given the time at which you say you ordered.) Did you have any build-to-order options?

I didn't think any of the SuperDrive models would be shipping before the week after next. Now you've got me hoping that I'll get mine next week, before I have to go out of town for Thanksgiving...
  6. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Ok, so i ordered that good old powerbook 1GHz, and i THOUGHT they weren't coming till like december because of the 3-4 week thing, but mine says 3-5 days (i BTOed the Combo drive instead....) when are these supposed to ship? i ordered mine the day after they came out.
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    sounds sexy

...but tibook is more than ibook by a lot

i just need to convinvce wife

however, for her graphic design business, she still likes a tower and a crt due to it's better color calibration

but i read an article that said the cinema screen is close enough..but then we are talking big, big money

laptops change color while one shifts their head and that is not optimal for "some" graphic design work that requires color accuracy

i still think the tibook is the best of all worlds, but my wife does not see it that way

so i guess we will stay with ibook and G4 tower for now
  8. Nando macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2002
    Hi Shadowfax,

I spoke to Apple last night, funnily enough, about the PB 1GHz. You're right, it will be 3-5 days when you modify it to inlcude the Combo drive instead of the Superdrive. The Superdrive models will be 3-4 weeks away still. I'm still trying to decide between the 1 GHz model and the 867 MHz model. I think that, ultimately, I'll probably be going with the 1 GHz model but I'll make my decision next week (I have time).

9. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    my dad just ordered his 1GHz w/o superdrive and maxxed out ram, it just shipped today. Whil I not be able to use it, i still get his old Pismo 500 :D
  10. twalkabout macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    one day too late...

I did order it direct from Apple -- from the Education Store (I learned about that Student Developer program a little too late, and I didn't want to risk cancelling and being pushed back on the waiting list).

I ordered the 1GHz with Superdrive and did the double your RAM offer. I also paid $15 for expedited shipping. Maybe I should start a new thread about this...since I'm sure some people will be interested to know that the PB w/ Superdrives are shipping.

All I know so far is that it has left Taiwan...somehow I don't think I'll get it before Monday...

Does anybody know anything about refusing a shipment from Apple? Is it complicated to get your money back?