Forget the Love Boat Let's try the "Love Motel"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joepunk, Aug 20, 2004.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Love Motels

I wish I knew about these kind of motels when I was attending summer school. I could have asked a few of the Korean students (studying for just the summer) about these motels and they might have been alittle surprized that I knew anything about “Love Motels” and asked for stories if any of them got it on there. I would bet that most of the other resident students who befriended the Koreans did not know about this.
  2. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Just sounds like a hotel where people are expected to be having sex.

Oh, wait, it's called the Holiday Inn.
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    As the article mentioned, Love Hotels (as they're called there) are even more established in Japan, where they're pretty much standard for the same reasons (lack of privacy at home, and cars too small to "park" in).

I suppose it makes sense from a social standpoint, but I've always found the ones in Japan sort of sleazy, at least from a conceputal standpoint.
  4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    hehe... that's entertaining. I have to say, they don't exactly skirt the issue...
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    there's a bunch of those in japan.

most of them are very discrete - you can check in and out without ever seeing a person. some of them, you can drive in with a car - meaning no one will ever see you outside the car going to the hotel.

never, ahem, used one myself, as i left japan when i was in 6th grade...
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    From reading the article, sounds like they fulfill a very useful function. The pictures shown of the "Love Motel," they are very clean and nice. The Asians so things very discreet.

In the US sleazy hotels are used and it's not with a wife. I think that married couples go to nice hotels and motels for a romantic weekend. This is a great way to get away from the usual life interference. Can make the whole thing as it was fro newlyweds.
  7. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I to think that those hotels do serve a very useful function. The price is reasonable and you can pay by the hour if need be. Also, it seems that they are promoting safe sex and clean breath afterwards. Plus, it would make it easier for young, horny teenagers to find a place that is not their parents. Those places would be useful to teens who meet at a concert, don’t have a credit card, and don’t want to wakeup their parents.

I wonder, does one have to use a credit card or can someone pay cash. I believe that $2US is equal to about $1000WON.
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well they offer all the important things a regular hotel offers, except at a fraction of the cost. I don't see what's so special about these hotels other than the extra privacy that may not even be necessary. It just shows you how much hotels are overcharging by sometimes.