FORGET USING PC Processors ....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Thats right, lets stop all these threads about getting macs to use Athlon + P4 chips. I see there is a potential use for them. BUT, for the first time in a long while there is a solution in the not so distant future (the 970 + Motorolas new G4's running up to 1.8Ghz)!

2. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

i'm sick of it too. i just feel like the boards have become whiney mac users recently. it sucks too after the great updates to the TiBook and iBook that ppl have returned to being so negative. The PPC 970 has shown to be competative with the new Itaniums so I see no problems.

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I expect another Powermac update to 1.5Ghz at MWSF or in Febuary. The updates to the towers are regular + should be getting bigger Leaps than before (133Mhz v's 250Mhz or so)

Eg. 1Ghz --> 1.25 Ghz

This is better than before.

Plus, the next revision of the G4 will support DDRAM fully which will help the system a lot. Things look better than they have done for a while.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The problem is that the PPC 970 looks to be delivered in late 2003 - which means it could slip to 200 - which might end up becoming a case of too little too late. Apple needs to have a single chip that can compete head to head with a single chip in the MS world. I one year the PCs will be running much faster than 3GHz - they already have one that does 3 GHz now.

D

5. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

I'm no chip expert but is a multi-core, multi-processor machine possible?

6. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I am no expect either, but I dont see why not. However, you do know that the 970 is single cored like the G4.