forgive the ignorance, but....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by masterjedi73, Mar 18, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Ok....I just received my G3 iBook I ordered off of Ebay. Everything seems really good about it....exactly what I need.

But I hear there's a way to connect it to my G5 through the firewire port. What can I do with that, and how do I connect the two (not the cables....I'm not that dumb. lol) Can I share files and programs etc.? Is it like a network or something?

Thanks!

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

With Panther (10.3), you can use it in a couple of ways. I'm sure someone will correct me if it can be done in earlier operating systems.

You can hold down the T button after the Dong sound on boot and it will appear as an external firewire drive to your other Mac.

If you leave the OS running, you can create an IP over Firewire network and use it to communicate, just as an Ethernet network would do.

I tend to prefer the latter choice because I don't like rebooting, but hey, to each his own.

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

thanks. i'll try both of those.

also, I got a blueberry clamshell with no OS, it turned on last night, but won't today...nothing. any ideas? could it have something to do with the keyboard? the middle latch isn't there and I don't know if it fell off or if it arrived like that.

thanks

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

5. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I have it plugged in....unless the power supply is bad.

does it use the same battery as the dual usb i have?

6. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

ok. i went and checked, and they're obviously not the same kind of battery.

duh.

how can i test the power supply?
    i don't really want to put my tongue on it. lol

7. mms macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about the clamshell but my G3 PowerBook will run with a defective or no battery as long as it has a power supply.

Was it running off the battery or was it plugged in when you started it up the first time (when it worked)?

8. mms macrumors 6502a

Also, for next time, please use a more descriptive forum title. "forgive the ignorance, but..." does not help us understand what the problem is like. Next time, use a better title such as "Connecting G5 and iBook through FireWire". Remember, there is no reason to be ashamed for asking a question. This forum is for sharing knowledge, regardless of experience.

I don't know the answer to your first question, regarding FireWire. I connect my Macs over a wireless LAN, which lets me share files but not programs. If you have a wireless router and Airport cards on both computers, that would be the easiest way to do it.

9. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

It was originally running off of the battery, but then I plugged it in. the thing is is that the battery might have been very low to begin with, and if the charger wasn't working at all, it wouldn't have done any good anyway.

how much does it cost to take stuff to the genius bar to have them look at it?

10. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Understood. Done. There was no copyright or anything on your suggestion was there? :D