Forgotten OSX Password, Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edwardo, Nov 22, 2003.

1. edwardo macrumors newbie

Hi, I switched Startupp Disks to OSX to install some new software and when it started it asked for my password. I don't use OSX often and can't for the life of me remember it, is there any way to reset it or disable the password altogether? Or even just a way to restart it in OS9 where it doesn't prompt me for a password?
    At the moment my Mac is useless as it will only load up the OSX password screen and I can't get it to do anything else.
    Any help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks
    Ed

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Easiest to do:
    Insert the Mac OS X install CD, and boot from it. When it is finished booting (and ready to install), you can reset the password of your user account. It is an option from one of the pull-down menus..... you'll find it easily.

Good luck.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes do what's above, and in the future, don't forget that password. it is required for many things, and it should be a password you can remember. there is no way to disable it, as it's the security that prevents programs from doing bad things, eg playing with files that don't belong to them, or deleting system files... that password is your friend, and a key to OS X's legendary stability.

:)
    pnw

4. edwardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your help. but there is a cd of software in the drive and it won't let me eject it for some reason, maybe as i'm not logged in yet? Is there any thing else I can do? Or any way to get the cd out when not logged in?
    Thanks
    Ed

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep.
    Reboot and hold down (keep pressing!) mouse-button. After some while it will eject the CD.

6. edwardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the info MacsRgr8,

I will try that now
    Ed

7. edwardo thread starter macrumors newbie

when i've inserted the mac osx cd how do i get the mac to boot from the cd as it still just loads the password prompt when I restart with osx cd inserted?

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Reboot the Mac while pressing (keep pressing!) the "C" -key. This forces the Mac to boot from the inserted CD.

9. edwardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice!!

It worked, thanks very much for all your help folks.

Saved me a real headache there
    thanks
    ed

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Good for you!

You're welcome, man. Glad to help.